2002-08-15 00:30:47

by Matt Simonsen

Subject: RedHat 7.3 kernel fix

I am hoping there are some out there using RedHat 7.3 on a DL380. We are
trying to do so, I have got 3 kernel panics in a week.

The setup is basically completely stock, I did do the 2.4.18-5 kernel
upgrade, basically running the RPM, then changing the lilo.conf to point
to the new kernel files and running /sbin/lilo.

I did not install 2.4.18-4 which mentions the SMP kernel panic
explicitly - should I have installed this before the -5 kernel? From the
errata it seems the -4 is superseded by -5 implying I didn't need it.
Also, should I be using the drivers on Compaq's site? My previous setup
was/is RedHat 6.2 with a 2.4.17 kernel and that worked beautifully.

At this point the machine known good hardware, although I moved some RAM
into it along with the OS move and I'm just not sure where to go. It's
in a data center so getting the on screen dump isn't easy, while there
is nothing in the logs.

I'm sorry I haven't provided much info - it's all I have, though.
Perhaps I'm just looking for somebody who has used the same OS and
hardware combo to let me know for sure it works.

Thanks
Matt

2002-08-15 00:57:53

by Alan

Subject: Re: RedHat 7.3 kernel fix

On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 01:34, Matt Simonsen wrote:
> I did not install 2.4.18-4 which mentions the SMP kernel panic
> explicitly - should I have installed this before the -5 kernel? From the
> errata it seems the -4 is superseded by -5 implying I didn't need it.

Correct

> Also, should I be using the drivers on Compaq's site? My previous setup

Shouldnt need to for standard PC hardware

> At this point the machine known good hardware, although I moved some RAM
> into it along with the OS move and I'm just not sure where to go. It's

So you moved some RAM and it started crashing randomly. Does it pass
memtest 86 (3.0 or higher for ECC RAM)

Alan

2002-08-15 15:59:51

by Matt Simonsen

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 18:00, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-08-15 at 01:34, Matt Simonsen wrote:
> > At this point the machine known good hardware, although I moved some RAM
> > into it along with the OS move and I'm just not sure where to go. It's
>
> So you moved some RAM and it started crashing randomly. Does it pass
> memtest 86 (3.0 or higher for ECC RAM)

I wouldn't say I moved RAM and it just started crashing - I also did an
upgrade from RedHat 6.2 w/ 2.4.17 kernel to a stock (and patched) RedHat
7.3 setup. I was suspecting maybe the kernel fix didn't work or
something - but it does register as 2.4.18-5.... I suppose that is just
wishful thinking so we don't have to swap out the machine.

At this point it seems clear I need to swap out the hardware, if not for
any other reason because it is a production machine so I can't run
memtest 86 just yet.

On the new machine I suppose I will run the stock RedHat kernel. If the
replacement crashes, perhaps I will switch kernels and see if it
persists.

Thanks for your reply-
Matt