2002-09-04 10:17:44

by Martin Wilck

Subject: OSB4 in impossible state

Am Mit, 2002-09-04 um 11.30 schrieb ROBIN Jean-Marie (EURIWARE):

> i have installed a redhat 7.3 on a COmpaq DL360 G2, i had a kernel panic
> with the message "ServerWorks OSB4 in impossible state" when i mount a
> cdrom...
> On newsgroups archives, i look at your patch and created a new kernel.
> Now i have no more crash but cdrom is still not accessible with the
> following error:
> hda: timeout waiting DMA
> ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
> hda: status error: status 0x48 { DriveReady DataRequest }
> hda: drive not ready
> have you any news about this problem? No more infos on web.

Hmm - seems that DMA really doesn't work as it should. In this case my
patch really only prevents the crash. For the moment, I can only advise
you to start the kernel with the hda=nodma option.

I am forwarding this to Andre and Alan, who know much more about this
than I do. It would be helpful if you could tell us your Chipset
revision.

Martin

--
Martin Wilck Phone: +49 5251 8 15113
Fujitsu Siemens Computers Fax: +49 5251 8 20409

2002-09-04 10:45:11

by Alan

Subject: Re: OSB4 in impossible state

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 11:23, Martin Wilck wrote:
> Hmm - seems that DMA really doesn't work as it should. In this case my
> patch really only prevents the crash. For the moment, I can only advise
> you to start the kernel with the hda=nodma option.

Lots of older CD-ROM devices don't support DMA, so it may well not be a
controller problem this time. The other stuff is fixed in the current
-ac tree.

Alan

2002-09-04 18:10:29

by Andre Hedrick

Martin,

If you can helps build a DMA PRD list for OSB4, I know the rules.
Just I do not have the time to get to it.

On 4 Sep 2002, Martin Wilck wrote:

> Am Mit, 2002-09-04 um 11.30 schrieb ROBIN Jean-Marie (EURIWARE):
>
> > i have installed a redhat 7.3 on a COmpaq DL360 G2, i had a kernel panic
> > with the message "ServerWorks OSB4 in impossible state" when i mount a
> > cdrom...
> > On newsgroups archives, i look at your patch and created a new kernel.
> > Now i have no more crash but cdrom is still not accessible with the
> > following error:
> > hda: timeout waiting DMA
> > ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
> > hda: status error: status 0x48 { DriveReady DataRequest }
> > hda: drive not ready
> > have you any news about this problem? No more infos on web.
>
> Hmm - seems that DMA really doesn't work as it should. In this case my
> patch really only prevents the crash. For the moment, I can only advise
> you to start the kernel with the hda=nodma option.
>
> I am forwarding this to Andre and Alan, who know much more about this
> than I do. It would be helpful if you could tell us your Chipset
> revision.
>
> Martin
>
> --
> Martin Wilck Phone: +49 5251 8 15113
> Fujitsu Siemens Computers Fax: +49 5251 8 20409
> Heinz-Nixdorf-Ring 1 mailto:[email protected]
> D-33106 Paderborn http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/primergy

Andre Hedrick
LAD Storage Consulting Group

2002-09-05 06:56:40

by Martin Wilck

Am Mit, 2002-09-04 um 20.14 schrieb Andre Hedrick:

> If you can helps build a DMA PRD list for OSB4, I know the rules.
> Just I do not have the time to get to it.

And I don't know if I'm smart enough :-/
But I can try.

Martin