2002-09-28 11:02:32

by Dennis Björklund

Subject: detect udma66 cable (vt82c686a)

I can't get my Gigabyte 7ZX-1 to detect my udma66 cable. It is a brand new
ata66/100 cable so I believe that the cable is not the problem.

As seen from /proc/ide/via below it thinks my cable is a 40w (on id0 I do
have a 40w so that is correct, but in ide1 there is a 80w).

I've also tried to boot with ide1=ata66 and then it says that the transfer
rate is 66.0MB/s, but it still detects the cable as 40w. hdparam -t gave
bigger values when booting with ata66 so something changes to the better.
But I would prefer if it was autodetected and to know why it does not
work in the first place. Also I don't know what bad can come from forcing
it to ata66.

The computer is a redhat 7.3 with kernel 2.4.18-4

After searching the archives and finding others with similar problems I
really thought that booting with ata66 was going to make it detect my
cable, but no. Or maybe it does work correctly when forced even though it
still says 40w?

Any help is appreciated!

# cat /proc/ide/via