2002-10-09 09:47:21

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

Subject: Re: [Jfs-discussion] maximum filesystem size limit

On Tuesday 08 October 2002 23:14, Cameron Bahar wrote:
> I need support for a single 12 TB filesystem on Linux. The documentation
> indicates that JFS supports a theoretical 4PB limit, but that other
> limitations (32 bit offsets) within limit prevent scaling to this large
> size.
>
> Can someone please tell me if I can use JFS to create a single 12TB
> filesystem under Linux?

Afaik, you have a problem here concerning the Linux 2.4 maximum block device
size of 2TB.

Anyone that knows if there's a workaround for this using LVM or something?

roy

--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester
ProntoTV AS - http://www.pronto.tv/

Computers are like air conditioners.

by mdew

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 22:53, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 October 2002 23:14, Cameron Bahar wrote:
> > I need support for a single 12 TB filesystem on Linux. The documentation
> > indicates that JFS supports a theoretical 4PB limit, but that other
> > limitations (32 bit offsets) within limit prevent scaling to this large
> > size.
> >
> > Can someone please tell me if I can use JFS to create a single 12TB
> > filesystem under Linux?
>
> Afaik, you have a problem here concerning the Linux 2.4 maximum block device
> size of 2TB.

is this "fixed" in 2.5 yet?

2002-10-09 10:18:57

by Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk

> > > Can someone please tell me if I can use JFS to create a single 12TB
> > > filesystem under Linux?
> >
> > Afaik, you have a problem here concerning the Linux 2.4 maximum block
> > device size of 2TB.
>
> is this "fixed" in 2.5 yet?

I beleive so
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk, Datavaktmester
ProntoTV AS - http://www.pronto.tv/
Tel: +47 9801 3356

Computers are like air conditioners.

by Jens Axboe

On Wed, Oct 09 2002, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> > > Afaik, you have a problem here concerning the Linux 2.4 maximum block
> > > device size of 2TB.
> >
> > is this "fixed" in 2.5 yet?
>
> I beleive so

why reply if you are only guessing?

status of 2.5 64-bit sector_t patches looks promising, will likely end
up on 2.5 soonish.

--
Jens Axboe

2002-10-09 16:21:31

by Mike Fedyk

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 12:25:24PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:

> > > Afaik, you have a problem here concerning the Linux 2.4 maximum block
> > > device size of 2TB.
> >
> > is this "fixed" in 2.5 yet?
>
> I beleive so

No, not Linus 2.5. It is in Andrew Morton's -mm tree though. That should
mean that after some heavy pounding on the code (what else would you expect
from akpm?) it will probably be in 2.5-linus soon...