2002-10-28 19:02:49

by Max Valdez

Subject: crc error on boot (2.4.20-pre11 gcc 3.2-mdk)

Hi all

I think I'm about to make a stupid question, but still can contain...

Is gcc 3.2 supported to build linux kernel ???, any known problems ???

I have a "crc error" in the first step of the booting process, just
after lilo screen goes off.

I attach my config file, It's the first time i try to build a kernel
with gcc 3.2, I havent had big problems before ( gcc 2.9X ) on mandrake
and redhat.

Thanks for any comments
Max

Attachments:
.config (16.90 kB)

2002-10-28 19:14:13

by Alan

Subject: Re: crc error on boot (2.4.20-pre11 gcc 3.2-mdk)

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 13:09, Max Valdez wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I think I'm about to make a stupid question, but still can contain...
>
> Is gcc 3.2 supported to build linux kernel ???, any known problems ???
>
> I have a "crc error" in the first step of the booting process, just
> after lilo screen goes off.
>
> I attach my config file, It's the first time i try to build a kernel
> with gcc 3.2, I havent had big problems before ( gcc 2.9X ) on mandrake
> and redhat.

I build with the RH shipped gcc 3.2 which seems to work great except for
a lot of compile warnings. Shouldn't be a problem

2002-10-28 22:03:00

by J.A. Magallon

On 2002.10.28 Max Valdez wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I think I'm about to make a stupid question, but still can contain...
>
>Is gcc 3.2 supported to build linux kernel ???, any known problems ???
>
>I have a "crc error" in the first step of the booting process, just
>after lilo screen goes off.
>
>I attach my config file, It's the first time i try to build a kernel
>with gcc 3.2, I havent had big problems before ( gcc 2.9X ) on mandrake
>and redhat.

I am building kernels with gcc-3.2 from mdk-9.0 and cooker without problems.

--
J.A. Magallon <[email protected]> \ Software is like sex:
werewolf.able.es \ It's better when it's free

2002-10-28 22:23:23

by Max Valdez

Subject: Re: crc error on boot (2.4.20-pre11 gcc 3.2-mdk) (Update)

Hi again:

Just after a lilo -v from old kernel and reboot, the new kernel
(2.4.20-pre11) came up just fine, I might have a hard disk problem, or
something like that...

Thanks for the replyes from Alan Cox and J.A. Magallon

Just a few side comments, 2.4.19-smp kernel from MDK 9.0 didnt saw all
my 1GB RAM, had the tendency to crash under heavy HD writes, and made
virtual os (winxp) under vmware run a little bit slower than other
kernels, and to use too much "unnecesary" swap file(wish made my box
slower too), I'm not experiencing none of those problems right now.

Max

2002-10-29 10:49:27

by Adrian Bunk

On 28 Oct 2002, Max Valdez wrote:

> Hi all

Hi Max,

> I have a "crc error" in the first step of the booting process, just
> after lilo screen goes off.
>
> I attach my config file, It's the first time i try to build a kernel
> with gcc 3.2, I havent had big problems before ( gcc 2.9X ) on mandrake
> and redhat.

what happens if you try to compile the same kernel with the same .config
using gcc 2.9X?

> Thanks for any comments
> Max

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

2002-10-29 10:58:33

by Adrian Bunk

Please ignore my last mail, I didn't see that yo already sent another mail
in this thread (wtf didn't pine sort it into the thread?).

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed