2002-11-01 21:13:52

by Richard B. Johnson

Subject: Early Christmas

Let me get this out before Christmas (with apologies
for being off-topic)

T`Was the night before payday and all through the house,
Not a computer was working as I clicked the mouse;
The screen turned blue and out slewed some text,
Showing register dumps and addresses in hex;
The disk-light was glowing and loud were the sounds,
Of whip-lashing disk-seeks way out-of-bounds;
Then quick as a wink the screen started to flash,
Upon each new re-boot the system would crash;
I reached for the Windows CD/ROM to install,
The system again, from scratch all, and all;
I worked several hours trying to make,
The new Windows Operating System to take;
It would never complete the booting sequence,
Nothing I did, made any sense;
Then what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a Linux machine to which I'd grown dear;
I connected the disk from the Windows box broken,
Into the Linux machine as a token;
And deleted that corrupt Windows partition,
So another install would allow recognition;
Then back to the Windows machine I did all,
The Windows partition completed install;
And recover all data, programs, and curia,
From my quietly running Linux server.
-- Richard B. Johnson --

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Bush : The Fourth Reich of America

2002-11-04 16:22:00

by Disconnect

Subject: Re: Early Christmas

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 16:21, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> Let me get this out before Christmas (with apologies
> for being off-topic)

Thats cute.. unfortunately, that's what just happened to my linux
server. (It went sky high, 400-odd entries in /lost+found after a
corrupted ext3 superblock. Oh, and most of /etc (at least) was
corrupted with binary garbage. Linux tends to get annoyed when
/etc/group is nothing but 8bit noise...)

If I can reproduce it on something slightly less 'weird' (read: heavily
patched and completely untested) than the Gentoo kernels I'll post bug
reports. But in the meantime, recovery continues ... :(