2002-11-21 03:16:38

by Max Valdez

Subject: Too muxh paging with 2.4.20-rc2-ac1

Hi all !

I'm experiencing way too much paging with the 2.4.20-rc2-ac1 kernel.

Using vmware is almost prohibitive if i want to do anything else, in
another scenario I'm right now compiling kdelibs, and "cvs'ing up" other
modules and those two jobs are enough to stall for a few seconds my box
every once in a while, on xosview i can see that there is a frecuent
paging.

i'm on a 2 x pIII 800, 1GB RAM, using the attached .config for the
latest ac patch.

Any comments ??
Best regards
Max
--
uname -a: Linux garaged.fis.unam.mx 2.4.20-rc2-ac1 #2 SMP Sat Nov 16
19:34:08 UTC 2002 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

Attachments:
.config (19.72 kB)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

by Alan

Subject: Re: Too muxh paging with 2.4.20-rc2-ac1

On Wed, 2002-11-20 at 21:24, Max Valdez wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> I'm experiencing way too much paging with the 2.4.20-rc2-ac1 kernel.
>
> Using vmware is almost prohibitive if i want to do anything else, in
> another scenario I'm right now compiling kdelibs, and "cvs'ing up" other
> modules and those two jobs are enough to stall for a few seconds my box
> every once in a while, on xosview i can see that there is a frecuent
> paging.
>
> i'm on a 2 x pIII 800, 1GB RAM, using the attached .config for the
> latest ac patch.

The latest -ac has Rik's newer rmap code. It seems to have a few
problems so I may back it out again soon until Rik figures out the
problem

2002-11-21 23:58:47

by Rik van Riel

On 21 Nov 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> The latest -ac has Rik's newer rmap code. It seems to have a few
> problems so I may back it out again soon until Rik figures out the
> problem

There are no functional changes in the batch of small patches
I sent you last week.

Rik
http://www.surriel.com/ http://guru.conectiva.com/
Current spamtrap: <a href=mailto:"[email protected]">[email protected]</a>

2002-11-22 09:15:53

by Hugo Mills

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 10:05:43PM -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2002, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > The latest -ac has Rik's newer rmap code. It seems to have a few
> > problems so I may back it out again soon until Rik figures out the
> > problem
>
> There are no functional changes in the batch of small patches
> I sent you last week.

That may be the case, but whatever Alan changed between -rc1-ac3
and -rc2-ac3 seems to fix the same problem for me.

Thanks,
Hugo.

PGP: 1024D/1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.nildram.co.uk
--- I must be musical: I've got *loads* of CDs ---

Attachments:
(No filename) (709.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)
Download all attachments