2002-11-21 10:59:50

by Amol Kumar Lad

Subject: Gnu Linker query

Hi,
Please don't flame for posting in wrong list. I am not receiving any
reply to my query from [email protected]. I know people here
will surely help me out.

--

I am using gcc linker on a mips architecture.
My .text segment for vmlinux starts at 0x80040000 and ends at 0x8010ffff

MEMORY
{
rom (!w!x) : ORIGIN = 0x80060000, LENGTH = 64K
}

.text 0x80040000 :
{
*(.text)
} = 0

but still ld is using address range 0x80060000 (+64K) for .text .

In a nutshell, How do I reserve a memory in one particular section

Please CC me.

Thanks
Amol

2002-11-21 17:08:19

by Daniel Jacobowitz

Subject: Re: Gnu Linker query

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 04:36:16PM -0500, Amol Kumar Lad wrote:
> Hi,
> Please don't flame for posting in wrong list. I am not receiving any
> reply to my query from [email protected]. I know people here
> will surely help me out.

That's because you waited less than a day for an answer, IIRC. And if
you search the archives of the binutils list you'll find your answer.

You can't do this. You need to explicitly place things before or after
the hole in two different sections.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
MontaVista Software Debian GNU/Linux Developer