2002-12-10 00:33:35

by Matt Young

Subject: grub and 2.5.50

These grub commands work with SUSE 2.4.19-4GB:

kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 vga=791
initrd (hd0,0)/initrd

But with 2.5.50 the kernel panics after Freeing the initrd memory with
"Unable te mount root FS, please correct the root= cammand line"

I have compiled with the required file systems (EXT2,EXT3,REISERFS).

2002-12-10 01:06:51

by Dmitri

Subject: Re: grub and 2.5.50

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 16:40, Matt Young wrote:

> These grub commands work with SUSE 2.4.19-4GB:
>
> kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 vga=791
> initrd (hd0,0)/initrd
>
> But with 2.5.50 the kernel panics after Freeing the initrd memory with
> "Unable te mount root FS, please correct the root= cammand line"
> I have compiled with the required file systems (EXT2,EXT3,REISERFS).

grub that came with RH 8.0 can boot 2.5.50 with no problems.

- what is the filesystem on /dev/hda3 ?
- do you have the FS *compiled into the kernel* ?
- did you rebuild your initrd?

Otherwise your old initrd will have old modules, and the FS module won't
load into your new kernel. If you compile them *into* the 2.5.50 then it
will just complain. That's what I did.

Dmitri

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2002-12-11 13:37:35

by Stefan Reinauer

* Matt Young <[email protected]> [021210 01:40]:
> These grub commands work with SUSE 2.4.19-4GB:
>
> kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 vga=791
> initrd (hd0,0)/initrd
>
> But with 2.5.50 the kernel panics after Freeing the initrd memory with
> "Unable te mount root FS, please correct the root= cammand line"

> I have compiled with the required file systems (EXT2,EXT3,REISERFS).

Did you also compile in support for the root device itself (i.e. ide or
scsi driver). These are loaded via the initrd normally on SuSE, which
will not work, if you did not install newer modutils..

Stefan

--
The x86 isn't all that complex - it just doesn't make a lot of
sense. -- Mike Johnson, Leader of 80x86 Design at AMD

2002-12-12 13:07:45

by Alex Tomas

SR> * Matt Young <[email protected]> [021210 01:40]:
>> These grub commands work with SUSE 2.4.19-4GB:
>>
>> kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage root=/dev/hda3 vga=791 initrd
>> (hd0,0)/initrd
>>
>> But with 2.5.50 the kernel panics after Freeing the initrd memory
>> with "Unable te mount root FS, please correct the root= cammand
>> line"

>> I have compiled with the required file systems
>> (EXT2,EXT3,REISERFS).

SR> Did you also compile in support for the root device itself
SR> (i.e. ide or scsi driver). These are loaded via the initrd
SR> normally on SuSE, which will not work, if you did not install
SR> newer modutils..

First of all, 2.5.10 has sysfs-related bug. try to replace root=/dev/hda3
by root=303

2002-12-13 06:51:18

by Matt Young

Got things going by doing that trick, good tip,