2003-01-03 00:00:14

by Steven Barnhart

Subject: [2.5.54] OOPS: unable to handle kernel paging request

Hello,

I seem to get a very nasty oops exactly when booting 2.5.54. When i
boot to the kernel I immediately get a kksymoops report flooding my
screen. This happens to fast that the text blurs and basically everything
stays where its at. There is no way to stop it except rebooting. I do not
have any serial connections to send the output to so I got (hopefully) the
most important line. The oops says "unable to handle kernel paging
request at virtual address ffffff8d (there may be another 'f' in there). I
searched through the archives and their seems to be a few oops reports of
the same kind but no patches and the only kernel was 2.5.48-bk I think.
Any thoughts?

2003-01-03 06:40:37

by Paul Rolland

Got the same yesterday evening when installing 2.5.54 for the first
time....

My second PC which I used for Serial console was not at home,
so if a console output is needed, people will have to wait
for the weekend (which is not that far).

Config was roughly including :
- Arch = P4, Unipro, APIC
- CPU Freq scaling
- ACPI (enum only)
- TCP (v4 + v6), Netfilter
- IDE, SCSI (AIC7xxx),
- Sound (Alsa, EMu10K1),
- Crypto

This oops happens at the very early stage of the boot process.
By that time, only 10 to 15 lines are displayed on the screen
following the "Booting ...................." stuff.

Regards,
Paul Rolland, [email protected]

by Aniruddha M Marathe

>From: Paul Rolland [mailto:[email protected]]
>Subject: Re: [2.5.54] OOPS: unable to handle kernel paging request
>

>Got the same yesterday evening when installing 2.5.54 for the
>first time....
>
>My second PC which I used for Serial console was not at home,
>so if a console output is needed, people will have to wait for
>the weekend (which is not that far).
>
>Config was roughly including :
> - Arch = P4, Unipro, APIC
> - CPU Freq scaling
> - ACPI (enum only)
> - TCP (v4 + v6), Netfilter
> - IDE, SCSI (AIC7xxx),
> - Sound (Alsa, EMu10K1),
> - Crypto
>
>This oops happens at the very early stage of the boot process.
>By that time, only 10 to 15 lines are displayed on the screen
>following the "Booting ...................." stuff.

Check if the processor in your .config matches with the processor that you have.
Eg. Problme might arise if .config file says CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII=y when your processor is P4.

2003-01-03 09:19:57

by Paul Rolland

Nope, it was really configure as P4, and I really have a P4.

Paul

2003-01-03 14:54:38

by Bill Davidsen

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Aniruddha M Marathe wrote:

> >From: Paul Rolland [mailto:[email protected]]
> >Subject: Re: [2.5.54] OOPS: unable to handle kernel paging request
> >

> >Got the same yesterday evening when installing 2.5.54 for the
> >first time....
> >
> >My second PC which I used for Serial console was not at home,
> >so if a console output is needed, people will have to wait for
> >the weekend (which is not that far).
> >
> >Config was roughly including :
> > - Arch = P4, Unipro, APIC
> > - CPU Freq scaling
> > - ACPI (enum only)
> > - TCP (v4 + v6), Netfilter
> > - IDE, SCSI (AIC7xxx),
> > - Sound (Alsa, EMu10K1),
> > - Crypto
> >
> >This oops happens at the very early stage of the boot process.
> >By that time, only 10 to 15 lines are displayed on the screen
> >following the "Booting ...................." stuff.
> >

> Check if the processor in your .config matches with the processor that you have.
> Eg. Problme might arise if .config file says CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII=y when your processor is P4.

Might, but I have the same thing, and I copied my 2.5.53 config and did
oldconfig. Got a perfect build, it just doesn't boot. The snow is falling,
I'm likely to have time to look at it this weekend.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

by Steven Barnhart

On Fri, 2003-01-03 at 10:48, Mark Hahn wrote:
> it's not very meaningful: some part of the kernel tried dereferencing
> a null pointer (as it happens, with a negative offset, such as you might
> expect from a variable sitting in the stack).
> the negativeness is not surprising, and the value of the offset would
> depend on your cpu/compiler/config.

Well I have a Intel Celeron 1.06 GHz (i686). 384MB ram, gcc 3.2 (redhat
8 release). I don't really know how to decode it since I have no serial
console hookups...anything paticualr I could get from the oops report
during bootup? i.e. what sections to copy?

--
Steven
[email protected]

2003-01-05 09:17:55

by Paul Rolland

Hello,

I've got it running my serial console. Full trace at boot time is :
SBF: Simple Boot Flag extension found and enabled.
SBF: Setting boot flags 0x1
cpufreq: P4/Xeon(TM) CPU On-Demand Clock Modulation available
divide error: 0000
CPU: 0
EIP: 0060:[<c01151bb>] Not tainted
EFLAGS: 00010246
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ffffff8d
printing eip:
c012ebcf
*pde = 00001067
*pte = 00000000
Oops: 0002
CPU: 0
EIP: 0060:[<c012ebcf>] Not tainted
EFLAGS: 00010006

and ksymoops says :
8 [10:21] rol@donald:~> ksymoops -v /usr/src/linux/vmlinux -K -m
/boot/System.map-2.5.54 <oops-cpufreq2
ksymoops 2.4.8 on i686 2.4.20. Options used
-v /usr/src/linux/vmlinux (specified)
-K (specified)
-l /proc/modules (default)
-o /lib/modules/2.4.20/ (default)
-m /boot/System.map-2.5.54 (specified)

No modules in ksyms, skipping objects
No ksyms, skipping lsmod
CPU: 0
EIP: 0060:[<c01151bb>] Not tainted
Using defaults from ksymoops -t elf32-i386 -a i386
EFLAGS: 00010246
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ffffff8d
c012ebcf
*pde = 00001067
Oops: 0002
CPU: 0
EIP: 0060:[<c012ebcf>] Not tainted
EFLAGS: 00010006
Warning (Oops_read): Code line not seen, dumping what data is available

>>EIP; c01151bb <time_cpufreq_notifier+14f/208> <=====
>>EIP; c012ebcf <kallsyms_lookup+df/194> <=====

1 warning issued. Results may not be reliable.

Problem is that ksymoops seems to decode the paging request fault,
not the 0 divide error...

This comes from a plain 2.5.54 kernel, no patches applied.

Dominik, you told me last week, with 2.5.53, that a patch was to
be used.
Is it included in 2.5.54 ?
If not, forget this mail... just tell me, I'll apply the patch and
I'll tell you if it's better.

Regards,
Paul

Good news !
Using the patch :
http://www.brodo.de/cpufreq/cpufreq-2.5.54-p4-1
it is now booting fine !

1 [11:40] rol@donald:~> cat /proc/cpufreq
minimum CPU frequency - maximum CPU frequency - policy
CPU 0 302902 kHz ( 12 %) - 2423222 kHz (100 %) -
performance

Cool...

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 05:43, Paul Rolland wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Good news !
> Using the patch :
> http://www.brodo.de/cpufreq/cpufreq-2.5.54-p4-1
> it is now booting fine !

Excellent!! I will apply immediately. This is great...wonder why it
hasn't been applied yet.

PS: Andrew: This is the serial console problem, if the patch works for
me this should fix the problem thank god.
> 1 [11:40] rol@donald:~> cat /proc/cpufreq
> minimum CPU frequency - maximum CPU frequency - policy
> CPU 0 302902 kHz ( 12 %) - 2423222 kHz (100 %) -
> performance
>
> Cool...
>
> Paul Rolland, [email protected]

2003-01-05 17:34:51

by Steven Barnhart

On Sun, 05 Jan 2003 11:47:01 +0000, Steven Barnhart wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 05:43, Paul Rolland wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Good news !
>> Using the patch :
>> http://www.brodo.de/cpufreq/cpufreq-2.5.54-p4-1
>> it is now booting fine !
>
> Excellent!! I will apply immediately. This is great...wonder why it
> hasn't been applied yet.
>
> PS: Andrew: This is the serial console problem, if the patch works for
> me this should fix the problem thank god.

Obivously I spoke to soon...this doesn't fix my problem (maybe because I
don't have a p4 and cpufreq ISN'T enabled). Instead it floods my screen
with the oops now instead of staying their but from hard looking at
it..it's the exact same thing..what an annoying bug!

PS: Paul I've attached my config, any chance you could do a full serial
output on it? Hopefully that would reproduce the problem and shed some
light on it.
--
Steven
[email protected]
GnuPG Fingerprint: 9357 F403 B0A1 E18D 86D5 2230 BB92 6D64 D516 0A94

2003-01-05 17:51:39

by Paolo Ciarrocchi

I get the same oops+reboot with ifdown lo
I get the same oops+ halt of the machine with
"/usr/sbin/usernetctl lo down

Hope it helps.

Ciao,
Paolo