2003-01-13 20:11:02

by Edward Tandi

Subject: Linux 2.4.21-pre3-ac3 and KT400

I'm new to this list and most of the e-mail here seems to be very
low-level, so I'm not so sure if this is the right forum for these kinds
of questions -please do point me in the right direction...

I am running Linux on an ASUS A7V8X, VIA KT400 chipset motherboard. The
processor is a 1.5GHz Athlon XP. I started experimenting with new-ish
kernels again because of the general lack of kernel support for this
chipset in stock kernels. 3 questions below:

1) I have 1GB ram, but I cannot get high memory support to work. It
falls over during boot. I've seen discussions about AMD cache issues,
but has it been fixed yet? Is it supposed to work?

2) The audio driver. It works and this is the main reason why I use this
version of the kernel. The issue I have with it, is that if I start
certain applications (gaim, macromedia flash player 6 for example), esd
gets itself into some kind of hung/blocked state. When this happens, I
need to kill -9 esd and re-start it. Games and xmms work however. The
reason I ask about this is that the downloaded driver from the viaarena
works on a stock kernel without this glitch. Is this a known problem?

3) I get the following messages at boot-time:
Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: Freeing unused kernel memory: 128k freed
Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
SeekComplete Error }
Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
DriveStatusError BadCRC }
Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
SeekComplete Error }
Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
DriveStatusError BadCRC }
Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
SeekComplete Error }
Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
DriveStatusError BadCRC }
Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
SeekComplete Error }
Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
DriveStatusError BadCRC }
Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: blk: queue c0437940, I/O limit 4095Mb
(mask 0xffffffff)
Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hdb: DMA disabled
Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: ide0: reset: success
Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.

Naturally, this is quite alarming. Everything works though, so am I safe
in just ignoring this noise?

4) Does anyone know whether I can get the ethernet interface to work
using stock kernel net device drivers (yes VIA supply the source, but
I'd rather use stock drivers)? I thought it was the via-rhine driver,
but it doesn't seem to recognise the chip. Anyone got it working?

I'd appreciate some help with this (great) motherboard.

Ed-T.

2003-01-13 20:54:04

by Roger Luethi

Subject: Re: Linux 2.4.21-pre3-ac3 and KT400

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:19:43 +0000, Edward Tandi wrote:
> I am running Linux on an ASUS A7V8X, VIA KT400 chipset motherboard. The
> [...]
> 4) Does anyone know whether I can get the ethernet interface to work
> using stock kernel net device drivers (yes VIA supply the source, but
> I'd rather use stock drivers)? I thought it was the via-rhine driver,
> but it doesn't seem to recognise the chip. Anyone got it working?

IIRC the KT400 comes with a VT8235 south bridge, so current stock kernel
should work (minus some bugs that still need fixing). What does lspci -vn
say? Anything in the kernel log when you try to load via-rhine?

Roger

2003-01-13 21:03:51

by Edward Tandi

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 21:02, Roger Luethi wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 20:19:43 +0000, Edward Tandi wrote:
> > I am running Linux on an ASUS A7V8X, VIA KT400 chipset motherboard. The
> > [...]
> > 4) Does anyone know whether I can get the ethernet interface to work
> > using stock kernel net device drivers (yes VIA supply the source, but
> > I'd rather use stock drivers)? I thought it was the via-rhine driver,
> > but it doesn't seem to recognise the chip. Anyone got it working?
>
> IIRC the KT400 comes with a VT8235 south bridge, so current stock kernel
> should work (minus some bugs that still need fixing). What does lspci -vn
> say? Anything in the kernel log when you try to load via-rhine?

I have the via-rhine driver built into the kernel (Y) not (M). Nothing
shows in dmesg or /var/log/messages.

lspci output below. Thanks,

Ed-T.

lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3189
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device b168

> 00:09.0 Ethernet controller: BROADCOM Corporation: Unknown device 4401
(rev 01)

00:0a.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Lucent Microelectronics: Unknown device
5811 (rev 04)
00:0d.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic (formerly
NCR) 53c810 (rev 02)
00:0f.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev
20)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3104 (rev
82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3177
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio
Controller (rev 50)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device
0250 (rev a3)

lspci -vn:
00:00.0 Class 0600: 1106:3189
Subsystem: 1043:807f
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0
Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 2.0
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

00:01.0 Class 0604: 1106:b168
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
Memory behind bridge: e6000000-e75fffff
Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e7700000-efffffff

00:09.0 Class 0200: 14e4:4401 (rev 01)
Subsystem: 1043:80a8
Memory at e5800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]
Expansion ROM at e76f0000 [disabled] [size=16K]

00:0a.0 Class 0c00: 11c1:5811 (rev 04) (prog-if 10)
Subsystem: dead:0800
Memory at e5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

00:0d.0 Class 0100: 1000:0001 (rev 02)
I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
Memory at e4800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

00:0f.0 Class 0200: 11ad:0002 (rev 20)
Subsystem: 1385:f004
I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=256K]

00:10.0 Class 0c03: 1106:3038 (rev 80)
Subsystem: 1043:808c
I/O ports at d000 [size=32]

00:10.1 Class 0c03: 1106:3038 (rev 80)
Subsystem: 1043:808c
I/O ports at b800 [size=32]

00:10.2 Class 0c03: 1106:3038 (rev 80)
Subsystem: 1043:808c
I/O ports at b400 [size=32]

00:10.3 Class 0c03: 1106:3104 (rev 82) (prog-if 20)
Subsystem: 1043:808c
Memory at e3800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

00:11.0 Class 0601: 1106:3177
Subsystem: 1043:808c
Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 0
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

00:11.1 Class 0101: 1106:0571 (rev 06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
Subsystem: 1043:808c
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
I/O ports at b000 [size=16]
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

00:11.5 Class 0401: 1106:3059 (rev 50)
Subsystem: 1043:8095
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9
I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

01:00.0 Class 0300: 10de:0250 (rev a3)
Subsystem: 10b0:03ea
Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 11
Memory at e6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
Memory at e7800000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=512K]
Expansion ROM at e77e0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [44] AGP version 2.0

2003-01-13 21:32:05

by Roger Luethi

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:12:37 +0000, Edward Tandi wrote:
> > IIRC the KT400 comes with a VT8235 south bridge, so current stock kernel
> > should work (minus some bugs that still need fixing). What does lspci -vn
> > say? Anything in the kernel log when you try to load via-rhine?
>
> I have the via-rhine driver built into the kernel (Y) not (M). Nothing
> shows in dmesg or /var/log/messages.
>
> lspci output below. Thanks,

Huh? I'll be... You may want to give b44 a try (I suppose tulip works for
the Lite-On). There's no Rhine here.

Roger

2003-01-13 22:11:17

by Soeren Sonnenburg

[...]
> I am running Linux on an ASUS A7V8X, VIA KT400 chipset motherboard.
> The processor is a 1.5GHz Athlon XP. I started experimenting with
> new-ish kernels again because of the general lack of kernel support
> for this chipset in stock kernels. 3 questions below:

Hey finally someone with my setup :-))

> 1) I have 1GB ram, but I cannot get high memory support to work. It
> falls over during boot. I've seen discussions about AMD cache issues,
> but has it been fixed yet? Is it supposed to work?

I am using older kernels (2.4.20) and it seems to work...

> 2) The audio driver. It works and this is the main reason why I use
> this version of the kernel. The issue I have with it, is that if I
> start certain applications (gaim, macromedia flash player 6 for
> example), esd gets itself into some kind of hung/blocked state. When
> this happens, I need to kill -9 esd and re-start it. Games and xmms
> work however. The reason I ask about this is that the downloaded
> driver from the viaarena works on a stock kernel without this glitch.
> Is this a known problem?

I use the alsa 0.9 driver and never had a problem like that...

3) I get the following messages at boot-time:
[...]
> Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
> DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: blk: queue c0437940, I/O limit 4095Mb
> (mask 0xffffffff)
> Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hdb: DMA disabled
> Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: ide0: reset: success
> Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.

> Naturally, this is quite alarming. Everything works though, so am I
> safe in just ignoring this noise?

That sounds like a bad cable. Do you use 80wires ide cables, connectors
attached to the ends ?

however I also get this spurious interrupt and it might be alarming...

> 4) Does anyone know whether I can get the ethernet interface to work
> using stock kernel net device drivers (yes VIA supply the source, but
> I'd rather use stock drivers)? I thought it was the via-rhine driver,
> but it doesn't seem to recognise the chip. Anyone got it working?

just have a look at the cdrom supplied with your mainboard. there is a
GPLed bcm4400 driver on that disk...

> I'd appreciate some help with this (great) motherboard.

well I have all kinds of trouble here (-> freezes)... I still hope that
it is not the via chipset nor the mainboard causing it this time.

Soeren.

2003-01-13 22:33:31

by Edward Tandi

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 22:10, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> [...]
> > I am running Linux on an ASUS A7V8X, VIA KT400 chipset motherboard.
> > The processor is a 1.5GHz Athlon XP. I started experimenting with
> > new-ish kernels again because of the general lack of kernel support
> > for this chipset in stock kernels. 3 questions below:
>
> Hey finally someone with my setup :-))
>
> > 1) I have 1GB ram, but I cannot get high memory support to work. It
> > falls over during boot. I've seen discussions about AMD cache issues,
> > but has it been fixed yet? Is it supposed to work?
>
> I am using older kernels (2.4.20) and it seems to work...

Yes, but as you mention below, it is unstable.

> > 2) The audio driver. It works and this is the main reason why I use
> > this version of the kernel. The issue I have with it, is that if I
> > start certain applications (gaim, macromedia flash player 6 for
> > example), esd gets itself into some kind of hung/blocked state. When
> > this happens, I need to kill -9 esd and re-start it. Games and xmms
> > work however. The reason I ask about this is that the downloaded
> > driver from the viaarena works on a stock kernel without this glitch.
> > Is this a known problem?
>
> I use the alsa 0.9 driver and never had a problem like that...

OK. I am using the OSS driver. Still, it should work normally.

> 3) I get the following messages at boot-time:
> [...]
> > Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
> > DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> > Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: blk: queue c0437940, I/O limit 4095Mb
> > (mask 0xffffffff)
> > Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hdb: DMA disabled
> > Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: ide0: reset: success
> > Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.
>
> > Naturally, this is quite alarming. Everything works though, so am I
> > safe in just ignoring this noise?
>
> That sounds like a bad cable. Do you use 80wires ide cables, connectors
> attached to the ends ?

No, but my drives are old and only support UDMA 2 anyway. I get most
things off the LAN. It should really enable UDMA 2.

> however I also get this spurious interrupt and it might be alarming...
>
> > 4) Does anyone know whether I can get the ethernet interface to work
> > using stock kernel net device drivers (yes VIA supply the source, but
> > I'd rather use stock drivers)? I thought it was the via-rhine driver,
> > but it doesn't seem to recognise the chip. Anyone got it working?
>
> just have a look at the cdrom supplied with your mainboard. there is a
> GPLed bcm4400 driver on that disk...

This is good to know. It would be nice to see it in the 2.4 kernel
though. I believe the 2.5 series already has a driver.

> > I'd appreciate some help with this (great) motherboard.
>
> well I have all kinds of trouble here (-> freezes)... I still hope that
> it is not the via chipset nor the mainboard causing it this time.

Mine is rock solid (as long as I don't enable highmem). Also, I still
compile with gcc 2.96 and the "athlon" option.

Thanks, I will try the bcm4400 driver.

Ed-T.

2003-01-13 22:51:14

by Soeren Sonnenburg

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 23:38, Edward Tandi wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 22:10, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > [...]
> > > I am running Linux on an ASUS A7V8X, VIA KT400 chipset motherboard.
> > > The processor is a 1.5GHz Athlon XP. I started experimenting with
> > > new-ish kernels again because of the general lack of kernel support
> > > for this chipset in stock kernels. 3 questions below:
> >
> > Hey finally someone with my setup :-))
> >
> > > 1) I have 1GB ram, but I cannot get high memory support to work. It
> > > falls over during boot. I've seen discussions about AMD cache issues,
> > > but has it been fixed yet? Is it supposed to work?
> >
> > I am using older kernels (2.4.20) and it seems to work...
>
> Yes, but as you mention below, it is unstable.

Well it works rock stable - except for one of my harddisks freezing once
in a week (but that is another issue) - if I don't use the two
additional promise TX2 ide controllers (extra cards not the onboard
stuff).

> OK. I am using the OSS driver. Still, it should work normally.

agreed.

> > 3) I get the following messages at boot-time:
> > [...]
> > > Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 {
> > > DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> > > Jan 13 18:23:05 wires kernel: blk: queue c0437940, I/O limit 4095Mb
[...]
> > That sounds like a bad cable. Do you use 80wires ide cables, connectors
> > attached to the ends ?
>
> No, but my drives are old and only support UDMA 2 anyway. I get most
> things off the LAN. It should really enable UDMA 2.

hmmhh, I would consider checking the harddisk then... it might be
defective.

Soeren.

2003-01-13 23:09:59

by Edward Tandi

On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 22:53, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 23:38, Edward Tandi wrote:
> > On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 22:10, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Hey finally someone with my setup :-))

> > > I am using older kernels (2.4.20) and it seems to work...
> >
> > Yes, but as you mention below, it is unstable.
>
> Well it works rock stable - except for one of my harddisks freezing once
> in a week (but that is another issue) - if I don't use the two
> additional promise TX2 ide controllers (extra cards not the onboard
> stuff).

I did try 2.4.20-ac2. This also had the same problem. I get some kind of
null pointer kernel crash.

> > > 3) I get the following messages at boot-time:
> > > [...]
> [...]
> > > That sounds like a bad cable. Do you use 80wires ide cables, connectors
> > > attached to the ends ?
> >
> > No, but my drives are old and only support UDMA 2 anyway. I get most
> > things off the LAN. It should really enable UDMA 2.
>
> hmmhh, I would consider checking the harddisk then... it might be
> defective.

I don't think it is the hard drive, because if I boot with 2.4.18, I
don't see the problem.

Ed-T.

2003-01-14 01:34:26

by Samuel Flory

Edward Tandi wrote:

>I'm new to this list and most of the e-mail here seems to be very
>low-level, so I'm not so sure if this is the right forum for these kinds
>of questions -please do point me in the right direction...
>
>I am running Linux on an ASUS A7V8X, VIA KT400 chipset motherboard. The
>processor is a 1.5GHz Athlon XP. I started experimenting with new-ish
>kernels again because of the general lack of kernel support for this
>chipset in stock kernels. 3 questions below:
>

>1) I have 1GB ram, but I cannot get high memory support to work. It
>falls over during boot. I've seen discussions about AMD cache issues,
>but has it been fixed yet? Is it supposed to work?

Have you tried to forcing the amount of memory? Try something short
of you expected total. Maybe "mem=1000M".

--
There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
Merely hardware that other people don't want.

2003-01-14 21:40:12

by Edward Tandi

Subject: Re: Linux 2.4.21-pre3-ac3 and KT400 -high memory now works!

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 01:43, Samuel Flory wrote:
> Edward Tandi wrote:
>
> >I'm new to this list and most of the e-mail here seems to be very
> >low-level, so I'm not so sure if this is the right forum for these kinds
> >of questions -please do point me in the right direction...
> >
> >I am running Linux on an ASUS A7V8X, VIA KT400 chipset motherboard. The
> >processor is a 1.5GHz Athlon XP. I started experimenting with new-ish
> >kernels again because of the general lack of kernel support for this
> >chipset in stock kernels. 3 questions below:
> >

> >1) I have 1GB ram, but I cannot get high memory support to work. It
> >falls over during boot. I've seen discussions about AMD cache issues,
> >but has it been fixed yet? Is it supposed to work?
> >
> Have you tried to forcing the amount of memory? Try something short
> of you expected total. Maybe "mem=1000M".

OK, I tried this. If I set it to 800M it was OK. At 900M I got the same
problem.

Due to the nature of the replies I have been getting, I suspected that
the problem was with the IDE driver's initialisation. So I disabled the
"Use PCI DMA by default" option in the kernel.

It booted with the full amount of high memory. Not only that, but
"hdparm -X66 /dev/hda" after booting also works!

I can only conclude that there must be a bug in the IDE initialisation
code for this board. Thanks for the replies,

Ed-T.

2003-01-14 22:02:55

by Edward Tandi

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 21:49, Edward Tandi wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 01:43, Samuel Flory wrote:
> > Edward Tandi wrote:
> >
> > >I'm new to this list and most of the e-mail here seems to be very
> > >low-level, so I'm not so sure if this is the right forum for these kinds
> > >of questions -please do point me in the right direction...
> > >
> > >I am running Linux on an ASUS A7V8X, VIA KT400 chipset motherboard. The
> > >processor is a 1.5GHz Athlon XP. I started experimenting with new-ish
> > >kernels again because of the general lack of kernel support for this
> > >chipset in stock kernels. 3 questions below:
> > >

> > >1) I have 1GB ram, but I cannot get high memory support to work. It
> > >falls over during boot. I've seen discussions about AMD cache issues,
> > >but has it been fixed yet? Is it supposed to work?
> > >
> > Have you tried to forcing the amount of memory? Try something short
> > of you expected total. Maybe "mem=1000M".
>
> OK, I tried this. If I set it to 800M it was OK. At 900M I got the same
> problem.
>
> Due to the nature of the replies I have been getting, I suspected that
> the problem was with the IDE driver's initialisation. So I disabled the
> "Use PCI DMA by default" option in the kernel.
>
> It booted with the full amount of high memory. Not only that, but
> "hdparm -X66 /dev/hda" after booting also works!
>
> I can only conclude that there must be a bug in the IDE initialisation
> code for this board. Thanks for the replies.

Oops, I forgot to enable DMA transfers with "hdparm -d 1". It turns out
that (U)DMA transfers don't work when high memory is enabled. The
problem _is_ the IDE driver.

Ed-T.