2003-01-24 01:27:00

by Ryan Lortie

Subject: ieee1394: Node 01:1023 has non-standard ROM format (0 quads), cannot parse

Hello.

I just got a new plextor combo (read dvd, write cd) drive and installed
it into my firewire drive enclosure. The CD-ROM drive that was in there
previously was working fine. I am using an Audigy as my firewire
controller.

Now, on attach/power on/modprobe ohci1394/etc I get this message:

ieee1394: Node 01:1023 has non-standard ROM format (0 quads), cannot
parse

I get the same message with 2.4.20, .21-pre3, and 2.5.59.

I've tried increasing the number of attempts that the loop in nodemgr.c
makes to attempt to get this quantity from 4 tries (1 second) to 40 (10
seconds.) The only difference that made was that the error takes longer
to appear.

Not sure if this is useful information, but this is what it says with
the CD-ROM drive in (ie: when it is working)
ieee1394: Device added: Node[01:1023] GUID[0030999550551539]
[NewMotion Technology Corp. ]

I've googled and searched the list archives at no avail. IRC also isn't
working out.

If anybody has experienced this before, has any ideas, would like
information about the problem or even knows of a better forum to direct
this question to, your help would be greatly appreciated. Please CC: me
a copy of your reply as I am not on the list.

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

2003-01-24 01:39:31

by Ben Collins

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 08:35:35PM -0500, desrt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I just got a new plextor combo (read dvd, write cd) drive and installed
> it into my firewire drive enclosure. The CD-ROM drive that was in there
> previously was working fine. I am using an Audigy as my firewire
> controller.
>
> Now, on attach/power on/modprobe ohci1394/etc I get this message:
>
> ieee1394: Node 01:1023 has non-standard ROM format (0 quads), cannot
> parse

Every 1394 device is required to have a Config ROM directory. The
directory has to be _atleast_ 4 quads for basic information to be
extracted and allow the subsystem to use the device. Without even 1 quad
it cannot even verify the magic '1', '3', '9', '4' quad at the start of
it.

If one cdrom works in the enclosure and another doesn't, then I suspect
something is weird with the enclosure's detection of the device you
placed in it. Are you sure that the master/slave jumpers are set
correctly for the enclosure? Anything else it needs?

> If anybody has experienced this before, has any ideas, would like
> information about the problem or even knows of a better forum to direct
> this question to, your help would be greatly appreciated. Please CC: me
> a copy of your reply as I am not on the list.

http://www.linux1394.org/ has a compatibility list. You can also email
[email protected].

--
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/

2003-01-24 02:25:22

by Ryan Lortie

> If one cdrom works in the enclosure and another doesn't, then I suspect
> something is weird with the enclosure's detection of the device you
> placed in it. Are you sure that the master/slave jumpers are set
> correctly for the enclosure? Anything else it needs?
They were both set to master. The enclosure itself doesn't have any
jumpers really, but I changed the jumpers around on the dvd drive (after
receiving your email) and tested various combinations (ie: master,
slave, cable select, and the DMA jumper on/off.) None of these worked.

Some other stuff I played with: I noticed that the drive locks shut
with the 'busy' light on. but:
- drive not connected to enclosure: eject works, busy light off
- drive connected to enclosure, but enclosure not plugged into firewire
bus (ie: controller card): eject doesn't work, busy light on
- connected, on the bus, ohci1394 module not loaded: eject works, busy
light off
- connected, on bus, ohci1394 loaded: eject doesn't work, busy light on

Also, transitioning from one of the 'working' states to one of the
non-working states doesn't work (ie: the unloading the ohci1394
driver.) The drive gets "stuck" in it's busy-not-working state until
you powercycle the enclosure.

Is it possible that my enclosure just doesn't support DVD drives?

Thanks again

2003-01-24 02:34:35

by Ben Collins

> Is it possible that my enclosure just doesn't support DVD drives?

Is the enclosure specific to CD drives? I always thought they were
generic IDE enclosures. If it is specific to CD, then there's a good
chance it doesn't like it. Check with the enclosure manufacturer.

--
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/
Deqo - http://www.deqo.com/

2003-01-24 02:38:47

by Ryan Lortie

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 21:43, Ben Collins wrote:

> Is the enclosure specific to CD drives? I always thought they were
> generic IDE enclosures. If it is specific to CD, then there's a good
> chance it doesn't like it. Check with the enclosure manufacturer.

I bought it as a generic enclosure (claiming to take cdrw/harddrive, no
mention of DVD). I put my CDROM in it and it JustWorked(tm). Same with
harddrives. The plexcombo is the first thing I've put in it that
doesn't work. I think I am going to do some more testing (I have a
friend with an iBook...) to find out where the problem lies.

Thanks for your help.

2003-01-24 03:12:47

by James Cloos

desrt> Now, on attach/power on/modprobe ohci1394/etc I get this message:

desrt> ieee1394: Node 01:1023 has non-standard ROM format (0 quads), cannot parse

desrt> I get the same message with 2.4.20, .21-pre3, and 2.5.59.

I also see that error with 2.5.59 and an external maxtor drive that
works fine with 2.5.58 and revision 744 of the ieee1394 svn tree.

-JimC