2003-01-24 22:04:04

by Jim Ny

Subject: contributing

Hi,
I just finished up an OS class, and am pretty excited
about the Linux Kernel. I don't have that much
experience, but I would love to help out. How could I
be assigned bugs to work on?

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

2003-01-24 22:19:45

by Hanna Linder

Subject: Re: contributing

--On Friday, January 24, 2003 02:13:16 PM -0800 Jim Ny <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I just finished up an OS class, and am pretty excited
> about the Linux Kernel. I don't have that much
> experience, but I would love to help out. How could I
> be assigned bugs to work on?

Hi Jim,

Check out http://bugme.osdl.org. It is a 2.5 kernel tracker
database and if you search for all New but not Assigned bugs then
you will see bugs that need to be worked on. Find one that you think
you can do and send a patch out to this list for review.
Also a good starting point is http://www.kernelnewbies.org.

Happy Hacking!

Hanna

2003-01-24 22:24:33

by Paul Larson

On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 16:13, Jim Ny wrote:
> Hi,
> I just finished up an OS class, and am pretty excited
> about the Linux Kernel. I don't have that much
> experience, but I would love to help out. How could I
> be assigned bugs to work on?
Finding your own is a great way to start, or even helping contribute to
code in the Linux Test Project. Testing is a good way to force yourself
to learn something. http://ltp.sourceforge.net

-Paul Larson

Attachments:
signature.asc (240.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2003-01-24 22:33:55

by Randy.Dunlap

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Hanna Linder wrote:

| --On Friday, January 24, 2003 02:13:16 PM -0800 Jim Ny <[email protected]> wrote:
| > Hi,
| > I just finished up an OS class, and am pretty excited
| > about the Linux Kernel. I don't have that much
| > experience, but I would love to help out. How could I
| > be assigned bugs to work on?
|
| Hi Jim,
|
| Check out http://bugme.osdl.org. It is a 2.5 kernel tracker
| database and if you search for all New but not Assigned bugs then
| you will see bugs that need to be worked on. Find one that you think
| you can do and send a patch out to this list for review.
| Also a good starting point is http://www.kernelnewbies.org.
|
| Happy Hacking!

The kernel janitors project also has entry-level openings.
You can check out the todo list there.

http://kernel-janitor.sourceforge.net and
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernel-janitor

--