2003-01-25 18:59:22

by Electroniks New

Subject: memory->disk

Hi,
How to save a process from memory onto the disk.
1) Is there any userspace tool that will allow me to
save everything from memory onto disk and let me allow
use that memory to load again after reboot.
Something similar to session. But everything xterm ,
vi should be written back to the same state.
2) If there doesn't exist any such tool how does one
proceed about writing it.
It can be userspace or kernel.

Nevermind the amount of memory to be saved.
I have about 54MB used (shown by free). So i think
i will have to write something of that order.

The question is how does one save a process memory
into file(disk) and then load the file after
rebooting.

If galeon could do that, then why not other
programs.
Thanx

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

2003-01-25 19:10:32

by Ingo Oeser

Subject: Re: memory->disk

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:08:35AM -0800, Electroniks New wrote:
> How to save a process from memory onto the disk.

Software Suspend is what you are looking for.

Regards

Ingo Oeser
--
Science is what we can tell a computer. Art is everything else. --- D.E.Knuth

2003-01-27 10:19:47

by Gianni Tedesco

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 18:17, Ingo Oeser wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 11:08:35AM -0800, Electroniks New wrote:
> > How to save a process from memory onto the disk.
>
> Software Suspend is what you are looking for.

Or possibly process check-pointing, ala CRAK.

http://www.ncl.cs.columbia.edu/research/migrate/crak.html

--
// Gianni Tedesco (gianni at scaramanga dot co dot uk)
lynx --source http://www.scaramanga.co.uk/gianni-at-ecsc.asc | gpg --import

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part