2003-03-21 15:04:38

by Duncan Sands

Subject: 2.5 AGP no good (VIA KT333, radeon 7500)

Latest Linus 2.5 BK:

In system logs:

kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
kernel: agpgart: Detected VIA Apollo Pro KT266/KT333 chipset
kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
kernel: agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xe0000000
(X-windows starts)
kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 00:00.0 into 1x mode
kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 01:00.0 into 1x mode

X-windows starts, but the picture is horribly torn, only the grey stipple
pattern is recognizable. Any thoughts? Or should I start a binary
search for the last version that worked?

Thanks, Duncan.

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333]
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8366/A/7 [Apollo KT266/A/333 AGP]
00:06.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 11)
00:06.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)
00:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
00:0a.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 04)
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/B/686A/B PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV200 QW [Radeon 7500]

2003-03-21 15:27:23

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: 2.5 AGP no good (VIA KT333, radeon 7500)

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 04:15:28PM +0100, Duncan Sands wrote:

> X-windows starts, but the picture is horribly torn, only the grey stipple
> pattern is recognizable. Any thoughts? Or should I start a binary
> search for the last version that worked?

Strange, and this only happens when you have agpgart loaded ?

Dave

2003-03-21 22:33:16

by Daniel Egger

Am Fre, 2003-03-21 um 16.38 schrieb Dave Jones:

> Strange, and this only happens when you have agpgart loaded ?

I believe I sent a similar mail to the list a week or so ago.
I'm experiencing troubles with KT400 when built as a module
and compiled in. The exact troubles depend on the kernel version.
2.6.54 will fire up but hang as soon as I fire up any GL application.
2.6.55 will eat endless amounts of memory when loading the module
thereby bringing the machine to crawl.

--
Servus,
Daniel

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Dies ist ein digital signierter Nachrichtenteil

2003-03-23 12:29:02

by Duncan Sands

On Friday 21 March 2003 16:38, you wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 04:15:28PM +0100, Duncan Sands wrote:
> > X-windows starts, but the picture is horribly torn, only the grey
> > stipple pattern is recognizable. Any thoughts? Or should I start a
> > binary search for the last version that worked?
>
> Strange, and this only happens when you have agpgart loaded ?

It was a BIOS problem: I flashed it, and the problem has gone
(the agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 00:00.0 into 1x mode
messages have gone too). The strange thing is, there was no
problem with 2.4 even before flashing the BIOS.

All the best,

Duncan.

2003-03-24 15:52:31

by Duncan Sands

> On Friday 21 March 2003 16:38, you wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 04:15:28PM +0100, Duncan Sands wrote:
> > > X-windows starts, but the picture is horribly torn, only the grey
> > > stipple pattern is recognizable. Any thoughts? Or should I start a
> > > binary search for the last version that worked?
> >
> > Strange, and this only happens when you have agpgart loaded ?
>
> It was a BIOS problem: I flashed it, and the problem has gone
> (the agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 00:00.0 into 1x mode
> messages have gone too). The strange thing is, there was no
> problem with 2.4 even before flashing the BIOS.

It was not a BIOS problem. I just went back to an earlier BK tree
and the problem reappeared. I must have updated the BK tree
between tests. Sorry for the misleading information.

Duncan.

2003-03-24 16:25:12

by Alexander Atanasov

Hello,

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 17:03:25 +0100
Duncan Sands <[email protected]> wrote:

> > (the agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 00:00.0 into 1x mode
> > messages have gone too). The strange thing is, there was no
> > problem with 2.4 even before flashing the BIOS.
>
> It was not a BIOS problem. I just went back to an earlier BK tree
> and the problem reappeared. I must have updated the BK tree
> between tests. Sorry for the misleading information.

The default agp speed in X's radeon driver is 1(cvs from serveral
days) , and seems that X sets that mode. I may have a BIOS problem too
after boot agp speed is undefined, when set to 4 in bios, but in Option
"AGPMode" "4" changes this, radeon 9000 , kt133 all ok, haven't digged furter.
I've looked at agp changes and this message was added soon there, so this 1x
may be there from a long time. You can check what the mode is with lspci -vv
too, i've not tested with 2.4, but suspect that you'll see 1x there too.

--
have fun,
alex