2003-03-27 00:45:32

by Tugrul Galatali

Subject: Severe clock drift on a SMP Xeon i860 box :(

Under circumstances I can't quite pin down, the time on my Compaq W8000
workstation starts drifting along several times faster than it should.
My best guess is that its triggered by network activity, but its
intermittant, and doesn't necessarily go away when the network activity
dies down (although it does lessen). I had first noticed the problem
when apt-get was updating its progress more often than usual, and
quoting a transfer rate ~2-3x lower than what it was actually achieving,
thanks to a 2-3x faster clock.

The machine was working fine for the first few months I had it, and
although I'm not quite sure of when it started acting up, I did move
around some PCI cards and install WXP on another disk around the time
this started. But I'm not sure either of those would affect anything?

WXP doesn't exhibit any such odd behaviour, and for the week or so that
I ran 2.5.63, the clock seemed to be working fine. Unfortunately, 2.5.x
isn't quite ready to replace 2.4.x for me.

Attached are the dmesg, kernel config and lspci for the machine. I'd
appreciate any tips on either pinning down or resolving the issue.

TIA

Tugrul Galatali

Attachments:
dmesg (15.57 kB)