2003-06-06 16:23:47

by Robert L. Harris

Subject: PERC4-DI?

My company is looking at buying some machines with "PERC4-DI" SCSI RAID
controllers. Poking around the .config file I'm not finding anything
related to this. Anyone know off the top of their heads what driver
would be used for this controller, any known catastrophic bugs, etc?

Thanks,
Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
@ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = [email protected] http://ipv6.rdlg.net
IPv4 = [email protected] http://www.rdlg.net

Attachments:
(No filename) (705.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Arsene Gschwind

Subject: Re: PERC4-DI?

It seems that you're talking about a Dell server. So far I know PERC
means PowerEdge Enhanced Raid Controller or something similar.
Under the PERC you will find diff. Raid ctrl (Adaptec maybe Mylex) you
may need to check wich kind of Raid Ctrl it is.
One for sure PERC isn't a RAID Ctrl supplier.

Ars?ne

Robert L. Harris wrote:

>My company is looking at buying some machines with "PERC4-DI" SCSI RAID
>controllers. Poking around the .config file I'm not finding anything
>related to this. Anyone know off the top of their heads what driver
>would be used for this controller, any known catastrophic bugs, etc?
>
>Thanks,
> Robert
>

>:wq!
>Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
> @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
>DISCLAIMER:
> These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.
>
>Diagnosis: witzelsucht
>
>IPv6 = [email protected] http://ipv6.rdlg.net
>IPv4 = [email protected] http://www.rdlg.net

Gschwind Arsene
Universitaet Rechenzentrum (URZ)
Klingelbergstrasse 70
CH-4056 Basel
SWITZERLAND

Languages : F/E/D
WWW: <http://www.unibas.ch/urz>
Mail: <[email protected]>
*********

2003-06-06 17:33:20

by Jeremy Jackson

Be very careful about the Dell PERC controllers. The 4-DI is *probably*
a rebranded LSI megaraid, with Dell's firmware. You *definitely* want
to subscribe to the [email protected] list. You well almost
certainly have to recompile your kernel with an up to the minute version
of the megaraid driver. Problems with the stock driver include server
performance problems, crashes, inability to use clustering. Many users
complain about the megamon utility, and have reverse engineered the
firmware api and written their own utility to get around the problems.
The source isn't available AFAIK. I don't think it will integrate with
linux-ha heartbeat for clustering very well. Some people have tried
flashing the LSI firmware to fix things.

I am afraid to use it in a database cluster without a *log* of time to
debug. The EVMS clustering support is getting stable, I am currently in
the testing phase for a postgresql cluster I am building with software
raid/Adaptec SCSI controllers, and shared disk array.

Regards,

Jeremy Jackson

--
Jer Jackson <[email protected]>

2003-06-07 10:51:38

by Mark Watts

On Friday 06 Jun 2003 5:37 pm, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> My company is looking at buying some machines with "PERC4-DI" SCSI RAID
> controllers. Poking around the .config file I'm not finding anything
> related to this. Anyone know off the top of their heads what driver
> would be used for this controller, any known catastrophic bugs, etc?

If its anything like the PERC 3 cards, it could be anything from an LSI
through to an Adaptec card. (PERC = PowerEdge Raid Controler).

I haven't found any major issues with any of them yet, but we don't tend to
push them as hard as others here - we mainly use them in webservers.

Mark.

2003-06-10 11:54:47

by Martin_List-Petersen

Here is a list:
Perc 2, Perc 3/Si, Perc 3/Di - Adaptec
Perc 2/SC, Perc 3/SC, Perc 3/DC, Perc 3/QC, Perc 4/Di - AMI / LSI

The only server out there with a Perc 4/Di currently is the Dell PowerEdge
2600. The PE2650 has a PERC 3/Di instead (Adaptec).

Have fun.

/Martin