2003-06-12 18:29:31

by Jay Denebeim

Subject: lockup on USB event kernel 2.4.20

My SO's computer works fine under redhat 8 which runs on a 2.4.18
kernel, however on redhat 9 with a 2.4.20 kernel it locks up. Also,
redhat upgraded their kernel to 2.4.20 for rh 8 as well and I saw the
same behavior.

Everything works fine until she moves her mouse which is connected to
the USB, that locks the system.

Is this a known problem? Any idea how I can debug it?

Thanks
Jay

--
* Jay Denebeim Moderator rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated *
* newsgroup submission address: [email protected] *

2003-06-12 19:18:13

by Jocelyn Mayer

Subject: Re: lockup on USB event kernel 2.4.20

> My SO's computer works fine under redhat 8 which runs on a 2.4.18
> kernel, however on redhat 9 with a 2.4.20 kernel it locks up. Also,
> redhat upgraded their kernel to 2.4.20 for rh 8 as well and I saw the
> same behavior.
>
> Everything works fine until she moves her mouse which is connected to
> the USB, that locks the system.
>
> Is this a known problem? Any idea how I can debug it?
>
> Thanks
> Jay
Hi,

Is your controler a UHCI one ?
If yes, try to connect your mouse via a hub if it's directly
connected to your computer.
There seem to be an issue with (rare) devices connected directly
to UHCI controlers.
I can easily lock UHCI based computers with an ATMEL Wifi device this way.

Regards.
--
Jocelyn Mayer <[email protected]>

2003-06-13 04:24:18

by Jay Denebeim

In article <[email protected]>, Jocelyn Mayer wrote:

> Is your controler a UHCI one ?

Appears to be using the OHCI driver, so no.

> If yes, try to connect your mouse via a hub if it's directly
> connected to your computer.

Tried it anyway, no joy.

Any other ideas? Something I could debug would be good. There's a
definate correlation between moving the mouse and locking up the
machine. Presumably it is missing an interrupt or something like
that.

Jay