2003-06-18 11:08:54

by Peter Taphouse

Subject: ptrace/kmod exploit still works in 2.4.21?

Hi,

I've been doing some experiments with the 2.4.21 kernel, and the ptrace
exploit: the result of which is that I've compiled a kernel with the
processor set to i386. I then ran this kernel on 2 computers, one is a Duron
machine with SIS chipset, the other is a Pentium 4 machine with the Intel 845
chipset. The exploit still gave me a root shell on the Pentium 4 machine, but
didn't on the Duron one.

I've read the previous post about this, and in both cases I only logged in as
an unprivileged user. I didn't login as root and then su to an unprivileged
use first. I checked to see that I was root by opening /etc/shadow.

The exploit used was:
http://packetstormsecurity.nl/0304-exploits/ptrace-kmod.c

The config file for the kernel I compiled is at:
http://www.bytemark-hosting.co.uk/config.txt

Any ideas?

--
Peter Taphouse

Bytemark Hosting
http://www.bytemark-hosting.co.uk
tel. +44 (0) 8707 455 026

Attachments:
(No filename) (922.00 B)
signed data
(No filename) (189.00 B)
signature

by Andre Tomt

Subject: Re: ptrace/kmod exploit still works in 2.4.21?

Check your exploit binary for the suid flag. If run successfully once on
a older kernel, it cheats by setting suid root.

--
Mvh,
Andr? Tomt

2003-06-18 12:22:51

by Peter Taphouse

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 12:38, you wrote:
> On ons, 2003-06-18 at 13:22, Pete Taphouse wrote:
> <snip FAQ>
>
> Check your exploit binary for the suid flag. If run successfully once on
> a older kernel, it cheats by setting suid root.
Doh! Apologies for time/space wastage.

Peter Taphouse

Bytemark Hosting
http://www.bytemark-hosting.co.uk