2003-06-19 06:38:37

by Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky

Subject: RE: O(1) scheduler seems to lock up on sched_FIFO and sched_RR ta sks

> From: Ingo Molnar [mailto:[email protected]]
>
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky wrote:
>
> > My point here is: I am trying to trace where this program is making use
> > of workqueues inside of the kernel, and I can find none. The only place
> > where I need to look some more is inside the timer code, but in a quick
> > glance, it seems it is not being used, so why is it affected by the
> > reprioritization of the events/0 thread? George, can you help me here?
>
> well, printk (console input/output) can already make use of keventd.

Then some output would show on my serial console when events/0 is
reprioritized...

OTOH, what do you think of Robert's idea of adding 20 levels of
priorities for the kernel's sole use?

I?aky P?rez-Gonz?lez -- Not speaking for Intel -- all opinions are my own
(and my fault)

2003-06-19 17:30:18

by Robert Love

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 23:52, Perez-Gonzalez, Inaky wrote:

> Then some output would show on my serial console when events/0 is
> reprioritized...
>
> OTOH, what do you think of Robert's idea of adding 20 levels of
> priorities for the kernel's sole use?

That was your idea, I just said the infrastructure was in place and we
could do it ;-)

I am not so sure it is ideal. I hesitate to make kernel threads FIFO at
a maximum priority, let alone an even greater one. I would really prefer
to find a nicer solution. Anyhow, if we make events FIFO/99 that would
also solve the problem, without dipping into extra high levels.

Robert Love