2003-06-24 22:02:24

by tomas

Subject: Intel RAID hw card

Hi all,

I have looked on google and tryed to find an answer, if
linux kernel supports

Intel Server RAID Controller U3-1LA (SRCU31LA)

but I did not find a clear answer,

please, could somebody tell me if I can use linux (Redhat 9 for example)
with this hw RAID card for raid 1 without problems ?

Thanks a lot
Tomas Zeman

2003-06-25 01:28:18

by Joshua Penix

Subject: Re: Intel RAID hw card

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 15:16, tomas wrote:

> Intel Server RAID Controller U3-1LA (SRCU31LA)
>
> please, could somebody tell me if I can use linux (Redhat 9 for example)
> with this hw RAID card for raid 1 without problems ?

I'm using an Intel SRCMR RAID controller in RAID5 mode under RedHat 9
with 280GB attatched and have no trouble at all. From what I can tell
on Intel's website, my card and yours both use the same "GDTH" kernel
driver, so I don't see any reason why yours won't work... unless your
RAID controller model is newer (but it shouldn't be, I see specs on your
model dating back to 2002) and the kernel just doesn't recognize its PCI
ID yet.

HTH,
--Josh

2003-06-25 11:56:50

by Alan

On Mer, 2003-06-25 at 02:42, Joshua Penix wrote:
> driver, so I don't see any reason why yours won't work... unless your
> RAID controller model is newer (but it shouldn't be, I see specs on your
> model dating back to 2002) and the kernel just doesn't recognize its PCI
> ID yet.

s/Intel/Adaptec/ now

Older SCU raid cards think they are I2O, although apparently with
updated firmware they use gdth instead. The newer ones are the gdth
cards.

Alan

2003-06-25 13:06:16

by Cress, Andrew R

Yes, use the gdth driver (sorry the linkage isn't clearer).

Andy