2003-07-08 19:07:35

by Nigel Cunningham

Subject: Tainted: S

Hi all.

With the latest prepatch for the 2.4 version of swsusp, I've made swsusp
taint the kernel upon resume from a suspend-to-disk. Any oopses that
occur afterwards will contain S as a third character (eg PFS). This so
that maintainers can be aware that software suspend might play a role in
any oopses they get.

Note that this doesn't apply to the version of software suspend in the
2.5 tree at the moment. I intend to port the 2.4 patch to 2.5/6, but if
I succeed in getting it merged, it will take a while (2.7 I guess), so
software suspend may play a role in cases where you don't get an 'S'.

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,
Christ died for the ungodly.
-- Romans 5:6, NIV.

2003-07-08 19:36:15

by Dave Jones

Subject: Re: Tainted: S

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 07:22:08AM +1200, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> With the latest prepatch for the 2.4 version of swsusp, I've made swsusp
> taint the kernel upon resume from a suspend-to-disk. Any oopses that
> occur afterwards will contain S as a third character (eg PFS).

2.5 already uses 'S' to mark "out-of-spec SMP system".

Dave

2003-07-08 19:55:26

by Nigel Cunningham

Subject: Re: [Swsusp-devel] Re: Tainted: S

Ah ok. How about 'Z' then? (As in zzzzz).

Regards,

Nigel

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 07:53, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 07:22:08AM +1200, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > With the latest prepatch for the 2.4 version of swsusp, I've made swsusp
> > taint the kernel upon resume from a suspend-to-disk. Any oopses that
> > occur afterwards will contain S as a third character (eg PFS).
>
> 2.5 already uses 'S' to mark "out-of-spec SMP system".
>
> Dave

Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,
Christ died for the ungodly.
-- Romans 5:6, NIV.

2003-07-08 20:04:35

by Dave Jones

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 08:09:49AM +1200, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Ah ok. How about 'Z' then? (As in zzzzz).

Sounds good to me 8-)

Dave

2003-07-08 20:08:29

by Nigel Cunningham

Subject: Tainted: Z (was Tainted: S)

Applied. So if you get 'Tainted: Z' now, you know the person has
suspended to disk using 2.4 code at least once.

Regards,

Nigel