2003-07-16 19:58:27

by David St.Clair

Subject: 2.6.0-test1 Vesa fb and Nvidia

I don't know if this is a hardware specific bug or I just don't have
something configured right.

If I try to boot using vga=792 (which works with 2.4.18) I get a blank
screen (but hard drive is actively booting). If I don't use vga= at all,
I get a normal boot without the penguin logo.

I am using Redhat 9 /w NVidia Geforce 4 420 64Mb.

CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_FB_VGA16=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_LOGO=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_MONO=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16=y
CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224=y

I am currently using the RPMS from (7/14/2003)
http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/

--
David St.Clair

2003-07-16 20:18:50

by Valdis Klētnieks

Subject: Re: 2.6.0-test1 Vesa fb and Nvidia

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:13:16 EDT, "David St.Clair" <[email protected]> said:
> I don't know if this is a hardware specific bug or I just don't have
> something configured right.

2.6.0-test1-mm1, Dell C840 laptop with a Geforce4 440Go.

I do *NOT* have 'CONFIG_FB_VGA16' set, but *do* have 'CONFIG_VIDEO_VESA'.

With this, 'vga=794' gets me a small font and a penguin on boot,
the NVidia binary driver works fine under X after the minion.de patch,
switching back and forth works well, and life is generally good.

Mode 792 is in the VESA bios mode range: from Documentation/svga.txt:

0x0200 to 0x08ff - VESA BIOS modes. The ID is a VESA mode ID increased by
0x0100. All VESA modes should be autodetected and shown on the menu.
CONFIG_VIDEO_VESA - enables autodetection of VESA modes. If it doesn't work
on your machine (or displays a "Error: Scanning of VESA modes failed" message),
you can switch it off and report as a bug.

Try turning that on?

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2003-07-16 21:16:48

by David St.Clair

I have also tried using CONFIG_FB_VGA16 as a module (so it's not loaded
by default) and I get the same results.

In /arch/i386/boot/video.S
CONFIG_VIDEO_VESA is defined. CONFIG_VIDEO_SVGA is the only one not
defined.

Setting it in my .config file didn't seem to work. (I may be doing
something dumb here...) It resulted in a warning message ".config:1318:
trying to assign nonexistent symbol VIDEO_VESA"

Trying to boot using vga=794 didn't help either.

I have the binary NVIDIA driver working. I used the 2.5/2.6 patches.

Thanks for your help,

David St.Clair

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 16:33, [email protected] wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:13:16 EDT, "David St.Clair" <[email protected]> said:
> > I don't know if this is a hardware specific bug or I just don't have
> > something configured right.
>
> 2.6.0-test1-mm1, Dell C840 laptop with a Geforce4 440Go.
>
> I do *NOT* have 'CONFIG_FB_VGA16' set, but *do* have 'CONFIG_VIDEO_VESA'.
>
> With this, 'vga=794' gets me a small font and a penguin on boot,
> the NVidia binary driver works fine under X after the minion.de patch,
> switching back and forth works well, and life is generally good.
>
> Mode 792 is in the VESA bios mode range: from Documentation/svga.txt:
>
> 0x0200 to 0x08ff - VESA BIOS modes. The ID is a VESA mode ID increased by
> 0x0100. All VESA modes should be autodetected and shown on the menu.
> CONFIG_VIDEO_VESA - enables autodetection of VESA modes. If it doesn't work
> on your machine (or displays a "Error: Scanning of VESA modes failed" message),
> you can switch it off and report as a bug.
>
> Try turning that on?

2003-07-17 17:48:19

by James Simmons

> I don't know if this is a hardware specific bug or I just don't have
> something configured right.
>
> If I try to boot using vga=792 (which works with 2.4.18) I get a blank
> screen (but hard drive is actively booting). If I don't use vga= at all,
> I get a normal boot without the penguin logo.
>
> I am using Redhat 9 /w NVidia Geforce 4 420 64Mb.
>
> CONFIG_VT=y
> CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_FB=y
> CONFIG_FB_VGA16=y
> CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
> CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
> CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_LOGO=y
> CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_MONO=y
> CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_VGA16=y
> CONFIG_LOGO_LINUX_CLUT224=y

Where is CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y ???

2003-07-17 18:16:34

by David St.Clair

That was my problem. Thank you very much!

David St.Clair