2003-07-25 15:00:30

by Dana Lacoste

Subject: Can we keep it toned down a bit in here?

OK, as entertaining as it has been (though I would've preferred
more posts from Al Viro : he has a great way with words :) can
we all agree that BK/GPL/OSL issues should go somewhere else?

Like maybe an advocacy list instead of a development list?

I've seen the following debated endlessly (with the rhetoric turned
way up these past few weeks) :

- RMS is a cheat trying to steal copyrights from everyone
- RMS is a saviour trying to save the world
- The GPL is a virus that is not legally enforcable and tries
to promote RMS's political agenda
- The GPL is the only thing keeping Linux free
- BK is spawned from the same pits of hell that Saddam Hussein
came from (south park is a wonderful learning tool)
- BK is a great piece of software that solves all of our
problems and allows Larry to make a (legal) living

Can we just agree that the Linus' acts are answer enough?
- The GPL isn't perfect, thus the restrictions in the kernel
source (specific versions of the GPL only)
- BK isn't perfect, but it is free and solves a lot of problems
in developing the Linux kernel. Advocating a program and using
a program aren't the same thing after all!
- RMS is fighting the good fight, even if he is a bit more extreme
than many of us would prefer. Better Gnu/Linux than MS/Linux!

Stop the trolling! Make code not war!

Dana Lacoste
Ottawa, Canada

2003-07-25 15:41:48

by Martin List-Petersen

Subject: Re: Can we keep it toned down a bit in here?

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 17:15, Dana Lacoste wrote:
> OK, as entertaining as it has been (though I would've preferred
> more posts from Al Viro : he has a great way with words :) can
> we all agree that BK/GPL/OSL issues should go somewhere else?
>
> Like maybe an advocacy list instead of a development list?

This ain't a bad idea at all. It's probably what's missing.

> Stop the trolling! Make code not war!

There is a reason for the trolling, but yes ... some people might want
to focus on development.

Regards,
Martin List-Petersen
--
Please ignore previous fortune.

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2003-07-25 16:26:40

by Olaf Dietsche

Dana Lacoste <[email protected]> writes:

> Like maybe an advocacy list instead of a development list?

<http://groups.google.com/groups?group=comp.os.linux.advocacy>

Regards, Olaf.

Oh sure, just take away all my fun! ;)

--

/"\ / For information and quotes, email us at
\ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN / [email protected]