2003-07-31 16:36:24

by Flameeyes

Subject: 2.6.0-test2, sensors and sysfs

Hi,
I need to know the system temperature for check some stability problems,
under 2.4 I was using lm_sensors patches, using i2c-viapro as i2c bus
and via686a as chip driver (I'm using a via 686 southbridge, see the
lspci output attached), and I was able to use sensors for see the
temperatures.
With the 2.6.0-test2 (and all earlier kernels since 2.5.69), I'm not
able anymore to see the temperature, nor with sensor (or libsensor
library) nor with sysfs (that, AFAIK, should be the new method to access
sensors data).
The only i2c device that I can see in the sysfs is the tuner of my
bt-based tv card.
I tried either with i2c-viapro and via686a as modules, and built-in in
kernel. Nothing changes. Also dmesg doesn't output anything.
I have missed something?
--
Flameeyes <[email protected]>

Attachments:
kernel-config (27.33 kB)
lspci (1.02 kB)

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: 2.6.0-test2, sensors and sysfs

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 06:36:02PM +0200, Flameeyes wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to know the system temperature for check some stability problems,
> under 2.4 I was using lm_sensors patches, using i2c-viapro as i2c bus
> and via686a as chip driver (I'm using a via 686 southbridge, see the
> lspci output attached), and I was able to use sensors for see the
> temperatures.
> With the 2.6.0-test2 (and all earlier kernels since 2.5.69), I'm not
> able anymore to see the temperature, nor with sensor (or libsensor
> library) nor with sysfs (that, AFAIK, should be the new method to access
> sensors data).
> The only i2c device that I can see in the sysfs is the tuner of my
> bt-based tv card.
> I tried either with i2c-viapro and via686a as modules, and built-in in
> kernel. Nothing changes. Also dmesg doesn't output anything.
> I have missed something?

What sensor drivers are you using in 2.4? Are these drivers even
present in 2.6? Remember, a lot of them have not been ported yet.

And yes, libsensors does not work right now for 2.6, you should be able
to get the sensor info yourself out of sysfs.

thanks,

greg k-h

2003-07-31 17:01:30

by Flameeyes

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 18:50, Greg KH wrote:
> What sensor drivers are you using in 2.4? Are these drivers even
> present in 2.6? Remember, a lot of them have not been ported yet.
The same, i2c-viapro and via686a, and they works well for mainboard, cpu
and system temperatures, and also for fans' rpms.
--
Flameeyes <[email protected]>

2003-07-31 17:21:21

by Tomasz Torcz

On Flameeyes wrote:
> I tried either with i2c-viapro and via686a as modules, and built-in in
> kernel. Nothing changes. Also dmesg doesn't output anything.
> I have missed something?

Be aware that via686 (and i2c-isa and probably others) do not work
when compiled into kernel. It must me in a module.

--
Tomasz Torcz "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
zdzicherc.-nie.spam-.pl wagon filled with backup tapes." -- Jim Gray
|> Playing: Negative.10.31.02 ...

2003-07-31 17:38:00

by Greg KH

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 07:01:24PM +0200, Flameeyes wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 18:50, Greg KH wrote:
> > What sensor drivers are you using in 2.4? Are these drivers even
> > present in 2.6? Remember, a lot of them have not been ported yet.
> The same, i2c-viapro and via686a, and they works well for mainboard, cpu
> and system temperatures, and also for fans' rpms.

Ok, what does:
tree /sys/bus/i2c/
show when the drivers are loaded?

Also, what does:
tree /sys/class/i2c_adapter
show?

thanks,

greg k-h

2003-07-31 17:36:48

by Greg KH

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 07:21:41PM +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

> On Flameeyes wrote:
> > I tried either with i2c-viapro and via686a as modules, and built-in in
> > kernel. Nothing changes. Also dmesg doesn't output anything.
> > I have missed something?
>
> Be aware that via686 (and i2c-isa and probably others) do not work
> when compiled into kernel. It must me in a module.

Why? They should work the same, if not, it's a bug.

thanks,

greg k-h

2003-07-31 18:01:55

by Flameeyes

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 19:17, Sergey Vlasov wrote:
> (Not sure if replying via news.gmane.org will work...)
>
> Currently (2.6.0-test2) i2c-viapro and via686a don't work together -
> you can use only one of them. This is because they want to work with
> the same PCI device - and having multiple drivers for one device is
> not allowed for obvious reasons.
>
> This issue is already known to the lm_sensors developers.
>
> So you will need to remove i2c-viapro for now (but leave i2c-isa);
> then you will see the via686a sensors again.

In this way, I can access all the data of the via686a sensors from the
sysfs without problems (yes, I need a compatible userland, but this
isn't a problem... i can wrote some myself).
I haven't found information about this problem in the post halloween or
in other 2.5 documents, I think is an important thing to know, via686a
chipsets are quite used, AFAIK.

--
Flameeyes <[email protected]>

2003-08-04 13:24:12