2003-08-08 13:10:57

by Mark Watts

Subject: Innovision EIO DM-8301H/R SATA cards...

2003-08-08 13:22:03

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: Innovision EIO DM-8301H/R SATA cards...

Mark Watts wrote:

> My local supplier has started doing some SATA cards....
>
> http://www.ivmm.com/eio/products_sata_pci_host.html
>

> The chip on the board i the screenshot looks vaguely like a Silicon Image chip
> - - am I correct in thinking that these are supported in linux?

If they are Silicon Image, yes, they are supported.

Jeff

2003-08-08 14:14:10

by Mark Watts

2003-08-08 14:29:33

by Jeff Garzik

Mark Watts wrote:

>>Mark Watts wrote:

>>>My local supplier has started doing some SATA cards....
>>>
>>>http://www.ivmm.com/eio/products_sata_pci_host.html
>>>

>>>The chip on the board i the screenshot looks vaguely like a Silicon Image
>>>chip - - am I correct in thinking that these are supported in linux?
>>
>>If they are Silicon Image, yes, they are supported.
>

> Great stuff - can someone confirm whether I still need to do the folloing for
> the latest 2.4.22 kernels in order to get good performance?
>
> # hdparm -d1 -X66 /dev/hdX
> # echo "max_kb_per_request:15" > /proc/.ide/hdX/settings

I have no idea :( I'm off in libata land, which will soon support
Silicon Image SATA as well...

Jeff

2003-08-08 15:16:09

by Justin Cormack

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 15:29, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Mark Watts wrote:

> >>If they are Silicon Image, yes, they are supported.
> >

> > Great stuff - can someone confirm whether I still need to do the folloing for
> > the latest 2.4.22 kernels in order to get good performance?
> >
> > # hdparm -d1 -X66 /dev/hdX
> > # echo "max_kb_per_request:15" > /proc/.ide/hdX/settings
>

> I have no idea :( I'm off in libata land, which will soon support
> Silicon Image SATA as well...

the answer is yes - there hasnt been an update to the driver. Andre
Hedrick says he has fixed it a month or so ago but has not released it
yet.

btw echo "max_kb_per_request:15" > /proc/.ide/hdX/settings is not for
good performance (it may halve your performance on some drives) it is a
bug workaround.

Look forward to testing libata on Silicon Image.

Justin

2003-08-08 17:24:31

by Alan

On Gwe, 2003-08-08 at 15:11, Mark Watts wrote:
> Great stuff - can someone confirm whether I still need to do the folloing for
> the latest 2.4.22 kernels in order to get good performance?
>
> # hdparm -d1 -X66 /dev/hdX
> # echo "max_kb_per_request:15" > /proc/.ide/hdX/settings

In -ac pretty much everything "just works". Just finishing off one or
two last issues

2003-08-08 17:25:50

by Alan

On Gwe, 2003-08-08 at 16:16, Justin Cormack wrote:
> the answer is yes - there hasnt been an update to the driver. Andre
> Hedrick says he has fixed it a month or so ago but has not released it
> yet.

The answer is no - the siimage driver isnt maintained by Andre.

2003-08-11 07:54:47

by Mark Watts

2003-08-11 08:58:32

by Christian Reichert

Mark,

I certainly have seen libata patches for 2.4 - search the mailinglist archive
for libata annoucements or just do a google.

Cheers,
Chris

Zitat von Mark Watts <[email protected]>:

> -

by Jeff Garzik

Mark Watts wrote:
> Dippy question - is libata a 2.6 thing or is it going to be backported to 2.4?

It's for 2.4 and 2.6 right now. You can get libata simply by using Alan
Cox's -ac patches for 2.4 or 2.6, or download directly from my FTP
directories:
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/patchkits/
(look in "2.4" and "2.6" sub-directories for *libata*)

Jeff