2003-08-22 02:47:17

by Herbert Poetzl

Subject: Bind Mount Extensions (ro for --bind)

Hi Linus!
Hi Andrew!
Hi Marcelo!

a few weeks ago, I posted a patch on lkml, which allows
ro --bind mounts, at least regarding ...

- open (read/write/trunc), create
- link, symlink, unlink
- mknod (reg/block/char/fifo), mkfifo
- mkdir, rmdir
- (f)chown, (f)chmod, utimes
- ioctl (gen/ext2/ext3/reiser)
- access, truncate

it doesn't handle update_atime() yet, because Al Viro
hasn't had the time to answer my email, and it doesn't
change current intermezzo code (but this would be easy
to add, because it's almost the same as the vfs_*()s at
least regarding ro --bind mounts)

actually patches are available and tested for 2.4.22-rc2
and 2.6.0-test3 up to 2.6.0-test3-bk9 ...

I would like to see this or similar code in 2.6 and 2.4 ...
please let me know, what would be required to get them
in, or why you dislike those patches, in case you do ...

TIA,
Herbert

-----
http://www.13thfloor.at/Patches/patch-2.4.22-rc2-bme0.03.diff
http://www.13thfloor.at/Patches/patch-2.4.22-rc2-bme0.03.diff.bz2
http://www.13thfloor.at/Patches/patch-2.6.0-test3-bme0.03.diff
http://www.13thfloor.at/Patches/patch-2.6.0-test3-bme0.03.diff.bz2

2003-08-22 03:26:00

by Shawn

Subject: Re: Bind Mount Extensions (ro for --bind)

Pretty cool. Guess I missed that one the first time.

Hope it doesn't bit-rot!