2003-08-25 23:03:45

by Christian Hesse

Subject: 2.4.22 hangs with pcmcia and linux-wlan

Hi,

I'm running kernels with pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 and linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre11 (also
tried 0.2). With 2.4.22-rc3 to final the system hangs if I insert my LevelOne
WPC-0100 (Prism-II-base wlan), no output at all. Everything worked well up to
and including 2.4.22-rc2.

Regards,
Christian

2003-08-26 03:37:36

by Hmamouche, Youssef

Subject: Re: 2.4.22 hangs with pcmcia and linux-wlan

Out of curiosity, what happens when you remove the card? Does the system
come back to normal or does it stay in the same state?

Youssef

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Christian Hesse wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running kernels with pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 and linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre11 (also
> tried 0.2). With 2.4.22-rc3 to final the system hangs if I insert my LevelOne
> WPC-0100 (Prism-II-base wlan), no output at all. Everything worked well up to
> and including 2.4.22-rc2.
>
> Regards,
> Christian
>
> -

by Nigel Cunningham

Hi.

Similar results here, except I can be more specific. I see the issue
using pcmcia only. The package I'm using is the
external-to-the-kernel-tree pcmcia-cs-3.2.3. Under 2.4.22, I get a
complete freeze (no SysRq, no flashing cursor) when I insmod i82365.o. I
tried recompiling the whole kernel & modules using gcc 2.96 and 3.2 to
no avail. If I use the kernel tree's code, I can insmod okay, but my
ltmodem_cs driver reports the modem as being busy all the time. The
problem was fixed by reverting to 2.4.21 (I'd already deleted pre2,
which was working). No configuration changes required - just a
recompile.

Regards,

Nigel

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 15:37, Hmamouche, Youssef wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what happens when you remove the card? Does the system
> come back to normal or does it stay in the same state?
>
> Youssef
>
> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Christian Hesse wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running kernels with pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 and linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre11 (also
> > tried 0.2). With 2.4.22-rc3 to final the system hangs if I insert my LevelOne
> > WPC-0100 (Prism-II-base wlan), no output at all. Everything worked well up to
> > and including 2.4.22-rc2.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Christian
> >
> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]
> >

> -
Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,
Christ died for the ungodly.
-- Romans 5:6, NIV.

2003-08-26 04:15:53

by Willy Tarreau

Hi,

I already encountered similar problems.

Check if the PCMCIA slot is not on the same IRQ as ACPI in /proc/interrupts. You
can also try to use a different PCMCIA slot, or boot with "acpi=off".

Cheers,
Willy

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 03:45:52PM +1200, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Similar results here, except I can be more specific. I see the issue
> using pcmcia only. The package I'm using is the
> external-to-the-kernel-tree pcmcia-cs-3.2.3. Under 2.4.22, I get a
> complete freeze (no SysRq, no flashing cursor) when I insmod i82365.o. I
> tried recompiling the whole kernel & modules using gcc 2.96 and 3.2 to
> no avail. If I use the kernel tree's code, I can insmod okay, but my
> ltmodem_cs driver reports the modem as being busy all the time. The
> problem was fixed by reverting to 2.4.21 (I'd already deleted pre2,
> which was working). No configuration changes required - just a
> recompile.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nigel
>
> On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 15:37, Hmamouche, Youssef wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, what happens when you remove the card? Does the system
> > come back to normal or does it stay in the same state?
> >
> > Youssef
> >
> > On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Christian Hesse wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm running kernels with pcmcia-cs-3.2.4 and linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre11 (also
> > > tried 0.2). With 2.4.22-rc3 to final the system hangs if I insert my LevelOne
> > > WPC-0100 (Prism-II-base wlan), no output at all. Everything worked well up to
> > > and including 2.4.22-rc2.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Christian
> > >
> > > -
> > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> > > the body of a message to [email protected]
> > > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
> > >

> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]
> Nigel Cunningham
> 495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand
>
> You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,
> Christ died for the ungodly.
> -- Romans 5:6, NIV.
>
> -

by Nigel Cunningham

Bingo.

[root@laptop-linux src]# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 342407 XT-PIC timer
1: 9083 XT-PIC keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
3: 509112 XT-PIC ltserial
5: 414 XT-PIC usb-uhci, usb-uhci, Allegro
8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
9: 1322 XT-PIC acpi, usb-uhci, i82365
10: 1623 XT-PIC eth0
12: 284866 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
14: 104489 XT-PIC ide0
15: 24 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
LOC: 342373
ERR: 0
MIS: 0
[root@laptop-linux src]#

Now I just need to learn how to get it to assign a different IRQ.

Regards,

Nigel

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 16:11, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I already encountered similar problems.
>
> Check if the PCMCIA slot is not on the same IRQ as ACPI in /proc/interrupts. You
> can also try to use a different PCMCIA slot, or boot with "acpi=off".
>
> Cheers,
> Willy
>
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 03:45:52PM +1200, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Similar results here, except I can be more specific. I see the issue
> > using pcmcia only. The package I'm using is the
> > external-to-the-kernel-tree pcmcia-cs-3.2.3. Under 2.4.22, I get a
> > complete freeze (no SysRq, no flashing cursor) when I insmod i82365.o. I
> > tried recompiling the whole kernel & modules using gcc 2.96 and 3.2 to
> > no avail. If I use the kernel tree's code, I can insmod okay, but my
> > ltmodem_cs driver reports the modem as being busy all the time. The
> > problem was fixed by reverting to 2.4.21 (I'd already deleted pre2,
> > which was working). No configuration changes required - just a
> > recompile.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Nigel
> >
> > On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 15:37, Hmamouche, Youssef wrote:
> > > Out of curiosity, what happens when you remove the card? Does the system
> > > come back to normal or does it stay in the same state?
> > >
> > > Youssef

> > > -
> > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
> > > the body of a message to [email protected]
> > > More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
> > > Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
> > --
> > Nigel Cunningham
> > 495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand
> >
> > You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,
> > Christ died for the ungodly.
> > -- Romans 5:6, NIV.
> >
> > -
> > the body of a message to [email protected]
> -
Nigel Cunningham
495 St Georges Road South, Hastings 4201, New Zealand

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless,
Christ died for the ungodly.
-- Romans 5:6, NIV.

2003-08-26 17:19:43

by Christian Hesse

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 06:21, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Bingo.

No luck for me.

root@kronos-one:~# cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 14024 XT-PIC timer
1: 381 XT-PIC keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
5: 2 XT-PIC i82365
8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
9: 8 XT-PIC acpi
11: 16 XT-PIC usb-uhci, usb-uhci
14: 3317 XT-PIC ide0
15: 5 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
LOC: 13984
ERR: 10
MIS: 0

> Now I just need to learn how to get it to assign a different IRQ.

Add "exclude irq 9" to /etc/pcmcia/config.opts

Christian