2003-09-01 14:05:20

by Maciej Soltysiak

Subject: -mm patches on www.kernel.org ?

Hello,

would not it be nice to have Andrew's -mm patches on the web
for people to easily get them?

How about putting links to -mm kernels, which are important
testbeds as -ac ?

Best Regards,
Maciej

2003-09-01 21:11:01

by Mike Fedyk

Subject: Re: -mm patches on www.kernel.org ?

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 04:05:16PM +0200, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> would not it be nice to have Andrew's -mm patches on the web
> for people to easily get them?
>
> How about putting links to -mm kernels, which are important
> testbeds as -ac ?

check people/akpm/patches

2003-09-01 21:39:16

by Wes Janzen

I think he's saying, why not put a link to the mm kernels from the
http://www.kernel.org homepage, just like the ac kernels... At least that's
how I read it.

-Wes-

Mike Fedyk wrote:

>On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 04:05:16PM +0200, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>would not it be nice to have Andrew's -mm patches on the web
>>for people to easily get them?
>>
>>How about putting links to -mm kernels, which are important
>>testbeds as -ac ?
>>

>check people/akpm/patches
>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

by Mike Fedyk

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 04:25:11PM -0500, Wes Janzen wrote:
> I think he's saying, why not put a link to the mm kernels from the
> http://www.kernel.org homepage, just like the ac kernels... At least that's
> how I read it.

Ok, then I can agree with that.

2003-09-02 00:06:16

by H. Peter Anvin

Mike Fedyk wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 04:25:11PM -0500, Wes Janzen wrote:
>
>>I think he's saying, why not put a link to the mm kernels from the
>>http://www.kernel.org homepage, just like the ac kernels... At least that's
>>how I read it.
>
> Ok, then I can agree with that.

Can't do it. The -mm kernels aren't a single patch, they're patch sets,
and they won't work with the system that we have set up. If akpm wants
to make a unified patch for each patch set in addition to the set itself
then it can be done.

-hpa

2003-09-02 00:15:15

by CaT

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 05:05:53PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Mike Fedyk wrote:
> >On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 04:25:11PM -0500, Wes Janzen wrote:
> >
> >>I think he's saying, why not put a link to the mm kernels from the
> >>http://www.kernel.org homepage, just like the ac kernels... At least that's
> >>how I read it.
> >
> >Ok, then I can agree with that.
>
> Can't do it. The -mm kernels aren't a single patch, they're patch sets,
> and they won't work with the system that we have set up. If akpm wants
> to make a unified patch for each patch set in addition to the set itself
> then it can be done.

AFAIK he does. I always apply a single patch. The individual patches
are in the break-out directory for easy viewing but the actual dir
contains the patch that contains all the break-out patches AFAIK.

--
"How can I not love the Americans? They helped me with a flat tire the
other day," he said.

2003-09-02 00:15:07

by Andrew Morton

"H. Peter Anvin" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mike Fedyk wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 04:25:11PM -0500, Wes Janzen wrote:
> >
> >>I think he's saying, why not put a link to the mm kernels from the
> >>http://www.kernel.org homepage, just like the ac kernels... At least that's
> >>how I read it.
> >
> > Ok, then I can agree with that.
>
> Can't do it. The -mm kernels aren't a single patch, they're patch sets,
> and they won't work with the system that we have set up. If akpm wants
> to make a unified patch for each patch set in addition to the set itself
> then it can be done.

Well I always have a full rollup there, such as

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.0-test4/2.6.0-test4-mm4/2.6.0-test4-mm4.gz

Is that what you mean?

(It would be good to add -aa patchsets too).

2003-09-02 00:33:34

by Mike Fedyk

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 05:28:42PM -0700, Matt Heler wrote:

2003-09-02 00:26:41

by H. Peter Anvin

Andrew Morton wrote:

> Well I always have a full rollup there, such as
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.0-test4/2.6.0-test4-mm4/2.6.0-test4-mm4.gz
>
> Is that what you mean?
>
> (It would be good to add -aa patchsets too).

I might be able to do this. However, please understand, everyone, that
having to write individual scripts for each kernel author is turning
into a horrible pain in the ass. I think the only sane way to do this
is to come up with a standard directory layout for specific user patches.

-hpa

2003-09-02 00:34:32

by Robert Love

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 20:28, Matt Heler wrote:

> What are you smoking ?? It's a single patch .. that you can apply on top of
> the 2.6 tree, SINGLE.. And why can't it be done ? the ac tree and dj tree
> were done.

Dude, manic much? You seriously need to relax.

hpa can do whatever he wants - he admins the damn thing. But it is
obvious he was just unclear that the -mm patches are in fact available
in a single patch.

Robert Love

2003-09-02 01:29:14

by Matt Heler

2003-09-02 01:57:19

by Zwane Mwaikambo

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Matt Heler wrote:

> What are you smoking ?? It's a single patch .. that you can apply on top of
> the 2.6 tree, SINGLE.. And why can't it be done ? the ac tree and dj tree
> were done.

Relax... you should learn to be patient when it comes to people providing
you a service.

2003-09-02 03:44:50

by H. Peter Anvin

Steven Cole wrote:

> Or you could just post a few example scripts, along with a few more
> comments about how hard this is.

No, thanks. The one thing worse than dealing with my own scripts
breaking when something changes (like the -test kernels broke the -ac
detect script recently) is to have *someone else's* scripts break -- I'm
still the one who gets complained at.

-hpa

2003-09-02 03:41:38

by Steven Cole

On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 18:26, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:
>

> > Well I always have a full rollup there, such as
> >
> > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.0-test4/2.6.0-test4-mm4/2.6.0-test4-mm4.gz
> >
> > Is that what you mean?
> >
> > (It would be good to add -aa patchsets too).
> >

> I might be able to do this. However, please understand, everyone, that
> having to write individual scripts for each kernel author is turning
> into a horrible pain in the ass. I think the only sane way to do this
> is to come up with a standard directory layout for specific user patches.
>
> -hpa

Or you could just post a few example scripts, along with a few more
comments about how hard this is.

Then you can watch your fence get whitewashed for free.

Steven

2003-09-02 10:28:25

by Maciej Soltysiak

> Woah, calm down dude.
Hehe, I wish I had sent that email early in the morning, not in the
evening before putting away the computer :-) I could have had an online
show over this minor, trivial issue :-)

Anyway, now that the fact is clear that there actually exist -mm
patches, we'll be _patiently_ waiting for hpa's work on the -mm scripts,
or any other solution for that matter. It's up to you and I think a lot
of people would be glad and thankful for the brilliant scripting work
of the http://www.kernel.org web admin.

Regards, have a good day folks,
Maciej