2005-09-19 15:45:37

by Marc Perkel

Subject: Reiser 4 - the BIG picture - (think BIG picture)

OK - lets reset on the personal attacks stuff. I know there are people
who like to goat people into fighting about this but STOP IT.

The question that should be answered is - is Reiser4 ready yet - and
that should be answered only by people who actually know what they are
talking about. Someone saying "I had Reiser 3 in 2001 and it crashed my
drive man" has nothing to do with this decision.

So - may I ask ....

Does Reiser 4 break anything? What is the down side of including it?

Does Reiser 4 lack anything that is required? Has it met the criteria
for inclusion?

If Reiser 4 isn't ready then what specifically needs to be done to get
it ready? Let's post a list.

How ready is Reiser 4 compared to other file systems at the point of
inclusion? Is it ripe yet?

2005-09-19 16:00:44

by Randy Dunlap

Subject: Re: Reiser 4 - the BIG picture - (think BIG picture)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Marc Perkel wrote:

> OK - lets reset on the personal attacks stuff. I know there are people
> who like to goat people into fighting about this but STOP IT.
>
> The question that should be answered is - is Reiser4 ready yet - and
> that should be answered only by people who actually know what they are
> talking about. Someone saying "I had Reiser 3 in 2001 and it crashed my
> drive man" has nothing to do with this decision.
>
> So - may I ask ....
>
> Does Reiser 4 break anything? What is the down side of including it?

That needed changes won't be made since it has been included.

> Does Reiser 4 lack anything that is required? Has it met the criteria
> for inclusion?

I can't answer that.

> If Reiser 4 isn't ready then what specifically needs to be done to get
> it ready? Let's post a list.
>
> How ready is Reiser 4 compared to other file systems at the point of
> inclusion? Is it ripe yet?

Review is the biggest thing that is needed now, and there aren't
a huge number of qualified reviewers, so it's largely a resourcing
issue.

How do we get the qualified reviewers to review it & post their
comments? They also have other things to do, so we can't expect
them to drop their current activities and review it this week.

--
~Randy

2005-09-19 16:11:22

by Maciej Sołtysiak

> How do we get the qualified reviewers to review it & post their
> comments? They also have other things to do, so we can't expect
> them to drop their current activities and review it this week.
So R4 would need some people to volunteer for review and oficially
put it on their TODO list. I do not think I have seen anybody
capable of it doing that.

--
Maciej

2005-09-19 16:16:40

by Randy Dunlap

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:

> > How do we get the qualified reviewers to review it & post their
> > comments? They also have other things to do, so we can't expect
> > them to drop their current activities and review it this week.
> So R4 would need some people to volunteer for review and oficially
> put it on their TODO list. I do not think I have seen anybody
> capable of it doing that.

"officially" may be too strong a word for it, but I wouldn't
merge it unreviewed. It seems to have had some partial reviews.

--
~Randy

2005-09-19 16:20:10

by Kyle Moffett

On Sep 19, 2005, at 12:00:41, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Marc Perkel wrote:
>> If Reiser 4 isn't ready then what specifically needs to be done to
>> get it ready? Let's post a list.
>>
>> How ready is Reiser 4 compared to other file systems at the point
>> of inclusion? Is it ripe yet?
>
> Review is the biggest thing that is needed now, and there aren't a
> huge number of qualified reviewers, so it's largely a resourcing
> issue.
>
> How do we get the qualified reviewers to review it & post their
> comments? They also have other things to do, so we can't expect
> them to drop their current activities and review it this week.

Especially since Hans has been providing strong disincentive to
review of his code. Personal attacks are not exactly productive
along those lines. Perhaps it might be best if the code reviewers
were to work directly with Vladimir Saveliev, Alexander Zarochentcev,
etc to get the issues resolved directly with minimal political
posturing. Hans, no offense, but you've been trying really hard to
get everybody qualified to review your code to reconsider such
action. Maybe you should step back and let the programmers work out
issues on their own.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
Simple things should be simple and complex things should be possible
-- Alan Kay

2005-09-19 16:24:13

by Maciej Sołtysiak

Hello Randy.Dunlap,

> "officially" may be too strong a word for it, but I wouldn't
> merge it unreviewed. It seems to have had some partial reviews.
Yes, sorry, I just could not find a better word at the moment of writing,
but I meant that the review should be an item on some agenda somewhere
not just vapour-lkml-ping-pong-talk.

--
Maciej

2005-09-19 17:50:55

by Marc Perkel

OK - So it needs reviewed. Hans is a character. He sometimes vents out
of frustration. Let's all forgive that and keep this technical. Hans -
be nice to everyone and don't let the pin heads goat you.