2004-01-02 06:26:40

by Dax Kelson

Subject: Synaptics 3button emulation hosed in 2.6.0-mm2

Brief summary: 3 button emulation very flaky
Linux: Fedora with 2.6.0-mm2
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 4150

----------------------------
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
synaptics reset failed
synaptics reset failed
synaptics reset failed
Synaptics Touchpad, model: 1
Firmware: 5.9
180 degree mounted touchpad
Sensor: 27
new absolute packet format
Touchpad has extended capability bits
-> multifinger detection
-> palm detection
-> pass-through port
input: SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad on isa0060/serio1
serio: Synaptics pass-through port at isa0060/serio1/input0
Synaptics driver lost sync at byte 1
Synaptics driver lost sync at byte 1
Synaptics driver resynced.
Synaptics driver lost sync at byte 1
Synaptics driver lost sync at byte 1
Synaptics driver resynced.
Synaptics driver lost sync at byte 1
Synaptics driver lost sync at byte 1
Synaptics driver resynced.
input: PS/2 Generic Mouse on synaptics-pt/serio0
serio: i8042 KBD port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1
input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
-----------------------------

When I highlight text and go to paste it by pressing both buttons at the
same time it only works 10% of the time. The majority of the time it
fails (don't paste anything).

When it fails, if I immediately press just the left mouse button about
1/2 the time it will paste.

I don't know if this is recent or not as I just recently started using
2.6 full time and I haven't used all the revisions.

Dax Kelson

2004-01-02 07:08:10

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Friday 02 January 2004 01:24 am, Dax Kelson wrote:
> Brief summary: 3 button emulation very flaky
> Linux: Fedora with 2.6.0-mm2
> Laptop: Dell Inspiron 4150
>
> ----------------------------
> mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
> synaptics reset failed
> synaptics reset failed
> synaptics reset failed

First off do not use ACPI PM timer...

Also, could you please tell me if it's X or GPM and what's in your "InputDevices"
section of XFConfig and what parameters are you passing to GPM.

Thank you,

Dmitry

2004-01-02 07:53:35

by Dax Kelson

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 00:07, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Friday 02 January 2004 01:24 am, Dax Kelson wrote:
> > Brief summary: 3 button emulation very flaky
> > Linux: Fedora with 2.6.0-mm2
> > Laptop: Dell Inspiron 4150
> >
> > ----------------------------
> > mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> > serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
> > synaptics reset failed
> > synaptics reset failed
> > synaptics reset failed
>
> First off do not use ACPI PM timer...

OK

> Also, could you please tell me if it's X or GPM and what's in your "InputDevices"
> section of XFConfig and what parameters are you passing to GPM.

I have these two entries (stock Fedora and what worked with 2.4):

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
EndSection
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "DevInputMice"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

------

My GPM invocation: gpm -m /dev/mouse -t ps/2

(/dev/mouse is symlink to /dev/psaux)

Dax Kelson

2004-01-02 07:58:49

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Friday 02 January 2004 02:50 am, Dax Kelson wrote:

> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Mouse0"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
> Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> EndSection
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "DevInputMice"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> EndSection

Here is your other trouble - /dev/input/mice gets data from _all_
mouse-like devices in 2.6 so your touchpad data is processed twice.

Drop the first input section and set "Emulate3Buttons" on 2nd - it
does not hurt if your mouse has 3+ buttons.

Good luck,

Dmitry

2004-01-02 08:10:46

by Dmitry Torokhov

On Friday 02 January 2004 02:58 am, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Friday 02 January 2004 02:50 am, Dax Kelson wrote:
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "Mouse0"
> > Driver "mouse"
> > Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
> > Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
> > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
> > EndSection
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "DevInputMice"
> > Driver "mouse"
> > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
> > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> > EndSection
>
> Here is your other trouble - /dev/input/mice gets data from _all_
> mouse-like devices in 2.6 so your touchpad data is processed twice.

Ok, it's a bit late here and I can't read anymore... Actually in 2.6
/dev/psaux and /dev/input/mice are synonims (different device node
numbers but the same underlying device).

Anyway, your touchpad data is still processed twice ;)

Dmitry