2004-01-05 11:56:15

by neel vanan

Subject: Kernel panic.. in 3.0 Enterprise Linux

Hi all,

The kernel I have working is version 2.4.21-4.EL and I
can still boot up to that. I compiled a 2.6.0 version
and installed it in exactly the same way that the old
version is, just appending 2.6.0 to the end of the
file. so when I reboot I get a boot screen that shows:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-4.ELsmp)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux As-up (2.4.21-4.EL)
Red Hat linux (2.6.0)

Enterprise linux still boots up fine but when I try
and boot up Red Hat linux (2.6.0) I get some ouput and
then a kernel panic with this message:

<snip>
Software Suspend has malfunctioning SMP support.
Disabled :(
ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)
RAMDISK: incomplete write (-1 !=32768) 4194304
VFS cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or unknown block
(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

I am running Linux Enterprise Edition version 3.0 on
my server. It has 2 Xeon processors and 1 U360 scsi
HD. The whole reason behind my compiling a kernel is
trying to get support for high memory (this
machine has 4 gigs of ram) and multi-processor
support.

I'm pretty sure I selected all scsi and driver support
because when i run the same kernel with RedHat Linux
9.0 in same machine it works fine. Everything is
compiled in and not as modules.

This is snip of my grub.conf file:
# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm
title RedHat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-4.ELsmp)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-4.EL ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.4.21-4.EL.img
title RedHat Linux (2.6.0)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /linux-2.6.0 ro root=LABEL=/
initrd /initrd-2.6.0.img

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in
advance,

Neel

http://search.yahoo.com/top2003

2004-01-05 12:09:16

by Christophe Saout

Subject: Re: Kernel panic.. in 3.0 Enterprise Linux

Am Mo, den 05.01.2004 schrieb neel vanan um 12:56:

> VFS cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or unknown block
> (0,0)
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)

LABEL= is a RedHat extension. Please use the normal root options that is
described in the Grub or kernel documentation.

2004-01-05 12:24:16

by Rik van Riel

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Christophe Saout wrote:
> Am Mo, den 05.01.2004 schrieb neel vanan um 12:56:
>
> > VFS cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or unknown block
> > (0,0)
> > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
> > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> > unknown-block(0,0)
>
> LABEL= is a RedHat extension. Please use the normal root options that is
> described in the Grub or kernel documentation.

It's not even a Red Hat extension. The LABEL= stuff is
done entirely in userspace, on the initrd.

If you do not want to use an initrd, you need to use the
normal root options instead, something like root=/dev/hda3

by Arjan van de Ven

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 12:56, neel vanan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The kernel I have working is version 2.4.21-4.EL and I
> can still boot up to that. I compiled a 2.6.0 version
> and installed it in exactly the same way that the old
> version is, just appending 2.6.0 to the end of the
> file. so when I reboot I get a boot screen that shows:
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-4.ELsmp)
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux As-up (2.4.21-4.EL)
> Red Hat linux (2.6.0)

RHEL3 isn't quite 2.6 ready btw; you need to update quite a few packages
to get it working right.

Also if you use mount-by-label you do need to create an initrd (with a
2.6 capable mkinitrd)...

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-01-05 12:21:22

by Andreas Unterkircher

have you rebuild your initrd? you have written you
have compile in all needed things - so do you still
need the initrd? if not - try to remove the line...

andreas

Am Mon, den 05.01.2004 schrieb neel vanan um 12:56:
> Hi all,
>
> The kernel I have working is version 2.4.21-4.EL and I
> can still boot up to that. I compiled a 2.6.0 version
> and installed it in exactly the same way that the old
> version is, just appending 2.6.0 to the end of the
> file. so when I reboot I get a boot screen that shows:
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-4.ELsmp)
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux As-up (2.4.21-4.EL)
> Red Hat linux (2.6.0)
>
> Enterprise linux still boots up fine but when I try
> and boot up Red Hat linux (2.6.0) I get some ouput and
> then a kernel panic with this message:
>
> <snip>
> Software Suspend has malfunctioning SMP support.
> Disabled :(
> ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> RAMDISK: incomplete write (-1 !=32768) 4194304
> VFS cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or unknown block
> (0,0)
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)
>
> I am running Linux Enterprise Edition version 3.0 on
> my server. It has 2 Xeon processors and 1 U360 scsi
> HD. The whole reason behind my compiling a kernel is
> trying to get support for high memory (this
> machine has 4 gigs of ram) and multi-processor
> support.
>
> I'm pretty sure I selected all scsi and driver support
> because when i run the same kernel with RedHat Linux
> 9.0 in same machine it works fine. Everything is
> compiled in and not as modules.
>
> This is snip of my grub.conf file:
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm
> title RedHat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-4.ELsmp)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-4.EL ro root=LABEL=/
> initrd /initrd-2.4.21-4.EL.img
> title RedHat Linux (2.6.0)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /linux-2.6.0 ro root=LABEL=/
> initrd /initrd-2.6.0.img
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in
> advance,
>
> Neel

by Christophe Saout

Am Mo, den 05.01.2004 schrieb Rik van Riel um 13:23:

> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Christophe Saout wrote:
> >
> > LABEL= is a RedHat extension. Please use the normal root options that is
> > described in the Grub or kernel documentation.
>
> It's not even a Red Hat extension. The LABEL= stuff is
> done entirely in userspace, on the initrd.

I was misinformed then. Thanks.

> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> RAMDISK: incomplete write (-1 !=32768) 4194304
> VFS cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or unknown block (0,0)

His initrd can't be correctly loaded. It seems the initrd is larger than
4MiB but he didn't increase the maximum size in the kernel
configuration.

2004-01-05 12:41:51

by Kresimir Sparavec

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 01:24:38PM +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 12:56, neel vanan wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The kernel I have working is version 2.4.21-4.EL and I
> > can still boot up to that. I compiled a 2.6.0 version
> > and installed it in exactly the same way that the old
> > version is, just appending 2.6.0 to the end of the
> > file. so when I reboot I get a boot screen that shows:
> >
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-4.ELsmp)
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux As-up (2.4.21-4.EL)
> > Red Hat linux (2.6.0)
>
> RHEL3 isn't quite 2.6 ready btw; you need to update quite a few packages
> to get it working right.

could you please summarize which ones? i upgraded modutils and modified
rc.sysinit for usb support. the rest works unmodified (except NVIDIA
proprietary kernel driver which does not have 2.6.x support yet, but XFree86
driver works fine for me) as far as i can tell. i got exactly 0 (zero)
kernel panics up to now. compared with 2.4.0 few years ago, 2.6.0 works
like charm

> Also if you use mount-by-label you do need to create an initrd (with a
> 2.6 capable mkinitrd)...

2004-01-06 21:16:13

by Lukas Postupa

Kresimir Sparavec wrote:
> the rest works unmodified (except NVIDIA
> proprietary kernel driver which does not have 2.6.x support yet, but XFree86
> driver works fine for me)

Take a look at http://www.minion.de/ .

Lukas

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Dies ist ein digital signierter Nachrichtenteil

2004-01-07 07:56:50

by neel vanan

Subject: 2.6.0 works with 3.0 Enterprise Linux or not...

Hi All,
I had posted my problem in mailing list i didn't get
proper response.
I would like to know whether 2.6.0 works properly with
Enterprise Linux 3.0 or or not. For me it works fine
with RedHat Linux9.0 but same kernel didn't boot with
EL 3.0. Arjan had replied that i have to upgrade some
packages but how many that is mystery. If i have to
upgrade than how many packages i should upgrade. I
have already upgraded mkinitrd and modutils still it
gives this error while booting:

Software Suspend has malfunctioning SMP support.
Disabled :(
ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S4 S5)
RAMDISK: incomplete write (-1 !=32768) 4194304
VFS cannot open root device "LABEL=/" or unknown block
(0,0)
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)

I had also tried root=/dev/sda2 and also root=0802.
But still it is not booting.

Help needed urgently, Thanks in advance.

Neel.