2004-01-05 05:31:20

by lk

Subject: KM266/VT8235, USB2.0 and problems

Hi. I've noticed that intermittently in the past with some devices, and
now every time with my new USB2.0 thumb drive (aka pen drive, aka flash
memory thing) that there are errors with the USB on my motherboard. It's
a M7VIG-PRO, which has a KM266/VT8235 chipset.

Using kernel 2.6.0, I can only access my flash drive several times before
getting an error about not being able to access the device. The dmesg
output is below. When I try on my laptop, which has an EHCI USB2.0
controller, the device works flawlessly. There are no errors, etc.

I am using a USB keyboard and a USB mouse. Both work fine.

I've tried several combinations of connecting the device, with and without
the "noapic" kernel option while booting. I've connected the device to
the motherboard's USB sockets (ie the ones soldered to the board, not via
wires to the case), through a USB2.0 hub, etc. I get the same result
every time.

I've included the relevant parts of "dmesg" and "dmidecode". Please cc:
me on responses, since I'm not subscribed, and let me know what to try
next.

Thanks.

Attachments:
dmidecode.txt (489.00 B)
dmesg.txt (4.56 kB)

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: KM266/VT8235, USB2.0 and problems

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 11:30:51PM -0600, [email protected] wrote:
> Hi. I've noticed that intermittently in the past with some devices, and
> now every time with my new USB2.0 thumb drive (aka pen drive, aka flash
> memory thing) that there are errors with the USB on my motherboard. It's
> a M7VIG-PRO, which has a KM266/VT8235 chipset.
>
> Using kernel 2.6.0, I can only access my flash drive several times before
> getting an error about not being able to access the device. The dmesg
> output is below. When I try on my laptop, which has an EHCI USB2.0
> controller, the device works flawlessly. There are no errors, etc.
>
> I am using a USB keyboard and a USB mouse. Both work fine.
>
> I've tried several combinations of connecting the device, with and without
> the "noapic" kernel option while booting. I've connected the device to
> the motherboard's USB sockets (ie the ones soldered to the board, not via
> wires to the case), through a USB2.0 hub, etc. I get the same result
> every time.
>
> I've included the relevant parts of "dmesg" and "dmidecode". Please cc:
> me on responses, since I'm not subscribed, and let me know what to try
> next.

Do the errors go away if you stop using devfs?

thanks,

greg k-h

2004-01-05 16:48:45

by lk

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Greg KH wrote:

> Do the errors go away if you stop using devfs?

Since Gentoo requires devfs, no. I only have Gentoo installed on the
machine.

I suppose that I could get an install CD from another distribution or a
rescue CD, boot from it, and test out the device. Are there any CD's or
boot images that are based on 2.6 that don't use devfs?

2004-01-05 17:23:45

by Greg KH

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 10:48:41AM -0600, [email protected] wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > Do the errors go away if you stop using devfs?
>

> Since Gentoo requires devfs, no. I only have Gentoo installed on the
> machine.

Gentoo does not require devfs anymore, or so the Gentoo developers tell
me.

greg k-h

2004-01-05 17:47:19

by lk

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Greg KH wrote:

> Gentoo does not require devfs anymore, or so the Gentoo developers tell
> me.

Apparently, udev can be used. I will try it.

2004-01-06 03:52:09

by lk

> > > Do the errors go away if you stop using devfs?

Ok, I removed devfs support from the kernel, and installed udev on the
machine. I get the same error:

SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x70000
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 7552
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 944

I migrated my laptop to use udev, also. The USB stick still works
perfectly on it.

Any other suggestions?

2004-01-06 04:37:01

by Peter Lieverdink

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 14:52, [email protected] wrote:

> Ok, I removed devfs support from the kernel, and installed udev on the
> machine. I get the same error:
>
> SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x70000
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 7552
> Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 944

I get the same thing using USB2 on a KT400/VT8235 mobo. I have a 20Gb
USB2 HDD (fat32), which produces this when accessed:

SCSI error : <1 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000000
Current sdb: sense key No Sense
end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 19159735
Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 19159672

The drive works flawlessly with Windows and MacOS. A 128Mb USB key via
USB1.1 causes no problems. Not using udev, not using devfs. The USB2
drive works fine under 2.4.X as well.

- Peter.

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-01-06 19:31:51

by Greg KH

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:52:04PM -0600, [email protected] wrote:

> Ok, I removed devfs support from the kernel, and installed udev on the
> machine. I get the same error:

You don't get the oops anymore, which is good.

> SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x70000
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 7552
> Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 944

Can you enable CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG and send the debug log to the
linux-usb-devel mailing list for when this happens? The people there
should be able to help you out.

thanks,

greg k-h

2004-01-07 17:02:34

by lk

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Greg KH wrote:

> Can you enable CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG and send the debug log to the
> linux-usb-devel mailing list for when this happens? The people there
> should be able to help you out.

Ok, I enabled that and the SCSI option. Here's what I get:

Jan 7 09:04:10 axp kernel: hub 1-0:1.0: new USB device on port 3,
assigned address 6
Jan 7 09:04:10 axp usb.agent[4754]: ... no modules for USB product
ea0/2168/200
Jan 7 09:04:10 axp kernel: scsi0 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage
devices
Jan 7 09:04:10 axp kernel: Vendor: MicroAdv Model: QuickiDrive128M
Rev: 2.00
Jan 7 09:04:10 axp kernel: Type: Direct-Access
ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Jan 7 09:04:10 axp scsi.agent[4788]: how to add device type= at
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:10.3/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/host0/0:0:0:0 ??
Jan 7 09:04:10 axp kernel: sda: Unit Not Ready, sense:
Jan 7 09:04:10 axp kernel: Current : sense key Unit Attention
Jan 7 09:04:10 axp kernel: Additional sense: Not ready to ready change,
medium may have changed
Jan 7 09:04:10 axp kernel: sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
Jan 7 09:04:10 axp kernel: sda : status=1, message=00, host=0, driver=08
Jan 7 09:04:10 axp kernel: Current sd: sense key Unit Attention
Jan 7 09:04:10 axp kernel: Additional sense: Not ready to ready change,
medium may have changed
Jan 7 09:04:11 axp kernel: sda: Write Protect is off
Jan 7 09:04:11 axp kernel: sda:<7>usb-storage: queuecommand called
Jan 7 09:04:11 axp kernel: sda1
Jan 7 09:04:11 axp kernel: Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0,
channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Jan 7 09:04:11 axp kernel: Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0,
id 0, lun 0, type 0
Jan 7 09:09:05 axp kernel: SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x70000
Jan 7 09:09:05 axp kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 7552

Also, the full dmesg and .config are available at
http://rekl.no-ip.org/~lk/

The problem is that the USB2.0 flash drive doesn't work after a few
accesses on my KM266/8235 based machine. It works fine on my laptop,
which also has USB2.0.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.