2004-01-09 15:23:36

by Jan De Luyck

Subject: [2.4.18]: Reiserfs: vs-2120: add_save_link: insert_item returned -28

Hello list,

Today I discovered I could no longer create files on one of my boxes, which
still runs 2.4.18 (box is too far away to upgrade right now). It gives me
'disk full' messages.

The following message is all over my logs since January 3:

vs-2120: add_save_link: insert_item returned -28

I can't seem to find much on this issue, is this a bug in reiserfs (which is
fixed in a later version)? Is something wrong with the fs itself?

Thanks for answers.

[I'm not subscribed @ reiserfs-list, so please cc me with answers from that
list]

Jan
--
It is exactly because a man cannot do a thing that he is a proper judge of it.
-- Oscar Wilde

2004-01-09 17:01:02

by Jan De Luyck

On Friday 09 January 2004 16:22, Jan De Luyck wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Today I discovered I could no longer create files on one of my boxes, which
> still runs 2.4.18 (box is too far away to upgrade right now). It gives me
> 'disk full' messages.
>
> The following message is all over my logs since January 3:
>
> vs-2120: add_save_link: insert_item returned -28
>
> I can't seem to find much on this issue, is this a bug in reiserfs (which
> is fixed in a later version)? Is something wrong with the fs itself?
>
> Thanks for answers.

Nevermind this... I was looking at the wrong partition... for half an hour....

:-(

Jan
--
My apologies if I sound angry. I feel like I'm talking to a void.
-- Avery Pennarun

2004-01-16 08:18:08

by Vladimir V. Saveliev

Hello

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 18:22, Jan De Luyck wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Today I discovered I could no longer create files on one of my boxes, which
> still runs 2.4.18 (box is too far away to upgrade right now). It gives me
> 'disk full' messages.
>
> The following message is all over my logs since January 3:
>
> vs-2120: add_save_link: insert_item returned -28

This is just a warning. You should be able to free some disk space by
removing some files.

> I can't seem to find much on this issue, is this a bug in reiserfs (which is
> fixed in a later version)? Is something wrong with the fs itself?
>
> Thanks for answers.
>
> [I'm not subscribed @ reiserfs-list, so please cc me with answers from that
> list]
>
> Jan

2004-01-16 08:48:19

by Hans Reiser

Vladimir Saveliev wrote:

>Hello
>
>On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 18:22, Jan De Luyck wrote:
>

>>Hello list,
>>
>>Today I discovered I could no longer create files on one of my boxes, which
>>still runs 2.4.18 (box is too far away to upgrade right now). It gives me
>>'disk full' messages.
>>
>>The following message is all over my logs since January 3:
>>
>>vs-2120: add_save_link: insert_item returned -28
>>

>This is just a warning. You should be able to free some disk space by
>removing some files.
>

>>I can't seem to find much on this issue, is this a bug in reiserfs (which is
>>fixed in a later version)? Is something wrong with the fs itself?
>>
>>Thanks for answers.
>>
>>[I'm not subscribed @ reiserfs-list, so please cc me with answers from that
>>list]
>>
>>Jan

why do we generate this warning? It should be fixed, yes?

--
Hans

2004-01-16 16:21:38

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:17:43 +0300, Vladimir Saveliev said:

> This is just a warning. You should be able to free some disk space by
> removing some files.

Is this just the *obvious* "removing files frees space", or is there some sort
of garbage collection that will be triggered, so removing a 1K file will make it
redo tables/linked lists/whatever and return lots of blocks that used to contain
metadata?

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2004-01-16 16:26:37

by Vladimir V. Saveliev

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 19:19, [email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 11:17:43 +0300, Vladimir Saveliev said:
>
> > This is just a warning. You should be able to free some disk space by
> > removing some files.
>
> Is this just the *obvious* "removing files frees space", or is there some sort
> of garbage collection that will be triggered, so removing a 1K file will make it
> redo tables/linked lists/whatever and return lots of blocks that used to contain
> metadata?

This is the *obvious* "removing files frees space".