2004-01-19 10:26:56

by Miek Gieben

Subject: aacraid and 2.6

Hello,

Last week I tried to get aacraid working under 2.6.1, which failed. In
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/must-fix/must-fix-7.txt it
says:

o ideraid hasn't been ported to 2.5 at all yet.

We need to understand whether the proposed BIO split code will suffice
for this.

So that explains the non-working part in 2.6. In 2.4.24 is worked out of the
box, so I'm running that now.

My question: is there _any_ ETA on when this stuff is going to work in 2.6?

Could you please CC me on answers? I'm only reading the digest. Thanks,

grtz
Miek
--
GPG fingerprint: miek.nl/about.html

2004-01-19 13:52:36

by Nathan Poznick

Subject: Re: aacraid and 2.6

Thus spake Miek Gieben:
> Hello,
>
> Last week I tried to get aacraid working under 2.6.1, which failed. In
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/must-fix/must-fix-7.txt it
> says:
>
> o ideraid hasn't been ported to 2.5 at all yet.

However, aacraid is not ideraid. I'm using the aacraid driver on a Dell
PERC3 controller with no problems so far on 2.6.1-mm4.

--
Nathan Poznick <[email protected]>

Only two great groups of animals, men and ants, indulge in highly
organized mass warfare. - Charles H. Maskins

Attachments:
(No filename) (540.00 B)
signature.asc (189.00 B)
Digital signature

by Miek Gieben

[On 19 Jan, @14:52, Nathan wrote in "Re: aacraid and 2.6 ..."]
> Thus spake Miek Gieben:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Last week I tried to get aacraid working under 2.6.1, which failed. In
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/must-fix/must-fix-7.txt it
> > says:
> >
> > o ideraid hasn't been ported to 2.5 at all yet.
>
> However, aacraid is not ideraid. I'm using the aacraid driver on a Dell
> PERC3 controller with no problems so far on 2.6.1-mm4.

hmmm, did you have any luck with 2.6.1?

In this case it's a SATA raid from Adaptec. So, if aacraid if not ide-raid, why
doesn't it work?

puzzled,

grtz Miek

2004-01-19 18:06:03

by Mike Fedyk

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 02:56:19PM +0100, Miek Gieben wrote:
> [On 19 Jan, @14:52, Nathan wrote in "Re: aacraid and 2.6 ..."]
> > Thus spake Miek Gieben:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Last week I tried to get aacraid working under 2.6.1, which failed. In
> > > http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/must-fix/must-fix-7.txt it
> > > says:
> > >
> > > o ideraid hasn't been ported to 2.5 at all yet.
> >
> > However, aacraid is not ideraid. I'm using the aacraid driver on a Dell
> > PERC3 controller with no problems so far on 2.6.1-mm4.
>
> hmmm, did you have any luck with 2.6.1?
>
> In this case it's a SATA raid from Adaptec. So, if aacraid if not ide-raid, why
> doesn't it work?

And what errors did you get?

2004-01-19 18:14:26

by Miek Gieben

[On 19 Jan, @19:05, Mike wrote in "Re: aacraid and 2.6 ..."]
> > hmmm, did you have any luck with 2.6.1?
> >
> > In this case it's a SATA raid from Adaptec. So, if aacraid if not ide-raid, why
> > doesn't it work?
>
> And what errors did you get?

none, when modprobing aacraid it just said:
AAC-RAID ....etc...

and no device /dev/sde found stuff like under 2.4.

grtz
Miek
--
"So long, and thanks for all the fish."
-- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

2004-01-20 00:33:28

by Mark Haverkamp

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 10:09, Miek Gieben wrote:
> [On 19 Jan, @19:05, Mike wrote in "Re: aacraid and 2.6 ..."]
> > > hmmm, did you have any luck with 2.6.1?
> > >
> > > In this case it's a SATA raid from Adaptec. So, if aacraid if not ide-raid, why
> > > doesn't it work?
> >
> > And what errors did you get?
>
> none, when modprobing aacraid it just said:
> AAC-RAID ....etc...
>
> and no device /dev/sde found stuff like under 2.4.
>
> grtz
> Miek
> --
> "So long, and thanks for all the fish."
> -- Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

It looks like there are some adapters in the 2.4 driver that aren't
specified in the 2.6 driver. Check linit.c in 2.4 and 2.6.

--
Mark Haverkamp <[email protected]>