2004-03-27 19:45:49

by Anders K. Pedersen

Subject: 2.6.4: Debug: sleeping function called from invalid context at mm/slab.c:1900

Hello,

As I originally reported on March 9th in the "2.6.3 userspace freeze"
thread, I'm having some problems with 2.6.3 and 2.6.4 locking up and
being rebooted after 60 seconds by the software watchdog.

I have since then been experimenting with various kernel options to
narrow this down, and I recently tried enabling CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK,
CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP and the NMI watchdog, which has given me the
following kernel output, when the lockup happens:

Debug: sleeping function called from invalid context at mm/slab.c:1900
in_atomic():1, irqs_disabled():0
Call Trace:
[<c011ce06>] __might_sleep+0xa6/0xb0
[<c0144ac5>] kmem_cache_alloc+0x25/0x70
[<c01b74c9>] nfs_sync_file+0x79/0x90
[<c016adae>] getname+0x1e/0xa0
[<c016c65e>] __user_walk+0xe/0x40
[<c015b1a7>] sys_chdir+0x17/0x70
[<c015c78f>] sys_write+0x2f/0x50
[<c0117410>] do_page_fault+0x0/0x537
[<c0109344>] do_notify_resume+0x34/0x48
[<c010953f>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb

followed by several other messages (attached as 2.6.4-lockup.log).

Another similar output was:

Debug: sleeping function called from invalid context at mm/slab.c:1900
in_atomic():1, irqs_disabled():0
Call Trace:
[<c011ce06>] __might_sleep+0xa6/0xb0
[<c0144ac5>] kmem_cache_alloc+0x25/0x70
[<c0119caa>] scheduler_tick+0x4a/0x620
[<c01239cf>] sys_setitimer+0x9f/0x100
[<c016adae>] getname+0x1e/0xa0
[<c016c65e>] __user_walk+0xe/0x40
[<c015b1a7>] sys_chdir+0x17/0x70
[<c015c78f>] sys_write+0x2f/0x50
[<c0117410>] do_page_fault+0x0/0x537
[<c0109344>] do_notify_resume+0x34/0x48
[<c010953f>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb

again followed by several other messages (attached as
2.6.4-lockup2.log).

.config and dmesg is attached as 2.6.4-config and 2.6.4-kernel.log.

Any suggestion on how to avoid this would be much appreciated.

--
Med venlig hilsen - Best regards

Anders K. Pedersen
Network Engineer
Cohaesio A/S - Maglebjergvej 5D - DK-2800 Lyngby
Phone: +45 45 880 888 - Fax: +45 45 880 777
Mail: [email protected] - http://www.cohaesio.com

2.6.4-config (22.26 kB)
2.6.4-kernel.log (33.25 kB)
2.6.4-lockup2.log (4.76 kB)