2004-04-15 20:37:55

by Sipos Ferenc

Subject: off:latest binary nvidia driver won't compile with 2.6.6-rc1

Hi!

The outer module patch for .temp creation didn't solve the problem,
compilation stops with can't fine Modules.synver in /usr/src/linux-
2.6.6-rc1.

Paco

2004-04-15 21:24:51

by Sam Ravnborg

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:41:25PM +0200, Sipos Ferenc wrote:
> Hi!
>
> The outer module patch for .temp creation didn't solve the problem,
> compilation stops with can't fine Modules.synver in /usr/src/linux-
> 2.6.6-rc1.

You need to do a ' make modules' first, otherwise the Modules.symvers file
will not be created.

Sam

2004-04-15 21:44:12

by Martin Wilke

Hmm i have problems too kernel 2.6.6.rc1 and nvidia
after modules Loading comming message invalid driver ...

Am Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:29:23 +0200 schrieb Sam Ravnborg:

> On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:41:25PM +0200, Sipos Ferenc wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> The outer module patch for .temp creation didn't solve the problem,
>> compilation stops with can't fine Modules.synver in /usr/src/linux-
>> 2.6.6-rc1.
>
> You need to do a ' make modules' first, otherwise the Modules.symvers file
> will not be created.
>
> Sam

2004-04-16 05:16:46

by Sipos Ferenc

Hi!

Something is wrong with your solution, because I'm building a monolithic
kernel, so nvidia would be my only module. I have done make modules as
you've said (I think a simple make does that also, so it wouldn't be
required), and the Modules.synvers file doesn't exist. 2.6.5 works
normally, only using nvidia as a module. Note that module support is
compiled in the kernel.

Paco

On cs, 2004-04-15 at 23:29 +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:41:25PM +0200, Sipos Ferenc wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > The outer module patch for .temp creation didn't solve the problem,
> > compilation stops with can't fine Modules.synver in /usr/src/linux-
> > 2.6.6-rc1.
>
> You need to do a ' make modules' first, otherwise the Modules.symvers file
> will not be created.
>
> Sam

2004-04-16 19:16:13

by Sam Ravnborg

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 07:20:08AM +0200, Sipos Ferenc wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Something is wrong with your solution, because I'm building a monolithic
> kernel, so nvidia would be my only module. I have done make modules as
> you've said (I think a simple make does that also, so it wouldn't be
> required), and the Modules.synvers file doesn't exist. 2.6.5 works
> normally, only using nvidia as a module. Note that module support is
> compiled in the kernel.

The Module.symvers file is only generated if you have a minimum of one module
in the kernel. I'm in the process of fixing this.

Also the Modules.symvers file is not needed when CONFIG_MODVERSIONS are turned
off - so I will fix this also.

Thanks for the hint (monolithic kernel with module support enabled).

The workaround for now is just to declare a simple driver a module.
For example the dummy driver in the net section.

Sam