2004-04-21 14:04:44

by Rui Sousa

Subject: 2.4.26, RAID1 + ext3fs oops(es)

Hi all,

I'm seeing frequent oopses when using a combination of RAID1 plus
ext3fs.

Here is my machine config:
PIV 1.5GHz, UP, 256MB RAM, 4 RAID1 devices (md0=/ 1GB, md1=/var 5GB,
md2=/usr 7GB, md3=/home 60GB), 2 80GB IDE disks (on separate
controllers).

My stress test consists of running:

while true; do make clean; make -j10 bzImage modules; done

on a linux-2.4.xx source tree placed in the /home partition. The oopses
happen within a few hours of starting the test.

I have also tried downgrading to linux-2.4.22 but I got the same
results. Currently I've switched to using ext2 on all partions but I
haven't tested it enough to reach a conclusion.

Attached are the kernel .config file plus /var/log/messages (with boot
messages and oops).

Is this a known problem? Any advices to have a stable setup using RAID1
config?

TIA,
Rui

Attachments:
config-2.4.26.sophial1 (16.27 kB)
messages.gz (31.52 kB)

by Stephen C. Tweedie

Subject: Re: 2.4.26, RAID1 + ext3fs oops(es)

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 15:05, Rui Sousa wrote:

> I'm seeing frequent oopses when using a combination of RAID1 plus
> ext3fs.

The log is full of errors like

EIP: 0010:[prune_dcache+24/320] Not tainted

Unfortunately, dcache corruptions like that are most often a sign of bad
hardware, usually memory. I'd recommend an overnight memtest86 run as
the first step towards diagnosing the problem.

Cheers,
Stephen