2004-04-27 05:02:37

by Clemens Schwaighofer

Subject: 2.6.6-rc2-mm2 + Adaptec I2O

2004-04-27 05:18:41

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: 2.6.6-rc2-mm2 + Adaptec I2O

Clemens Schwaighofer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Some old game, same stuff again. Linux-2.6.6-rc2 + mm2 and the adaptec
> i2o is still not compiling.

I regularly do allyesconfig builds and have not noticed this.

Please share the .config.

2004-04-27 05:23:51

by David Lang

I received a patch that works with 2.6.x x<=4 but it breaks with 2.6.5 so
for now I am sticking with 2.6.4 and hopeing that I don't have to swap out
all these raid controllers.

David Lang

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

> Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:02:23 +0900
> From: Clemens Schwaighofer <[email protected]>
> To: Linux Kernel ML <[email protected]>
> Subject: 2.6.6-rc2-mm2 + Adaptec I2O

> -

by David Lang

here is a config that is working with the patch I was sent, but will not
compile with the stock drivers or with 2.6.5

I am going to be spending the next week or so 'certifying' kernel/hardware
combinations if you need me to test something.

David Lang

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:18:14 -0700
> From: Andrew Morton <[email protected]>
> To: Clemens Schwaighofer <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: 2.6.6-rc2-mm2 + Adaptec I2O
>
> Clemens Schwaighofer <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Some old game, same stuff again. Linux-2.6.6-rc2 + mm2 and the adaptec
> > i2o is still not compiling.
>
> I regularly do allyesconfig builds and have not noticed this.
>
> Please share the .config.
> -

config.kernel.SMP.2.6.4.ipchains.K7-Os.profile (20.69 kB)

2004-04-27 05:35:44

by Clemens Schwaighofer

2004-04-27 05:37:46

by Chris Meadors

On Tue, 2004-04-27 at 01:02, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

> Some old game, same stuff again. Linux-2.6.6-rc2 + mm2 and the adaptec
> i2o is still not compiling. There is a patch swirring around the
> internet for 2.6.5 where the kernel compiles (thought i couldn't reboot
> the box yet, so no "real" expierence).
>
> What is the status? Will there be ever a 2.6.x kernel with a working i2o
> driver? Do I have to blackmail Adaptec ;) ?

If it is the same patch I'm thinking of, I'm using it on a
(light-weight) production server. No ill effects felt here. Although
it doesn't seem to be recommended on 64-bit machines.

--
Chris

2004-04-27 05:39:32

by Clemens Schwaighofer

2004-04-27 06:05:24

by Andrew Morton

Clemens Schwaighofer <[email protected]> wrote:

> on this URL [http://www.smartcgi.com/?action=docs,kernel26-adaptec] you
> can find a patch that I could successfully path again 2.6.5 (vanilla)
> and compile successfully.

hm. Against 2.6.0. Go, would you have time to send that patch in to the
scsi team at [email protected]?

Thanks.

2004-04-27 06:22:38

by Clemens Schwaighofer

Attachments:
dpt_i2o.patch (13.66 kB)

2004-04-27 06:26:50

by Andrew Morton

Clemens Schwaighofer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Andrew Morton wrote:
> | Clemens Schwaighofer <[email protected]> wrote:
> |
> |> on this URL [http://www.smartcgi.com/?action=docs,kernel26-adaptec] you
> |> can find a patch that I could successfully path again 2.6.5 (vanilla)
> |> and compile successfully.
> |

> | hm. Against 2.6.0. Go, would you have time to send that patch in to the
> | scsi team at [email protected]?
>
> yes,
>
> remark:
>
> ~ Originally this patch has been released by Go Taniguchi at
> http://pkgcvs.turbolinux.co.jp/~go/patch-2.6/dpt_i2o.patch
>
> patch attached

Sorry, my question was directed to Go Taniguchi <[email protected]> - Go
should submit the patch.

Thanks.

2004-04-27 11:53:59

by Go Taniguchi

Hi,

Andrew Morton wrote:
> Clemens Schwaighofer <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Andrew Morton wrote:

>> | hm. Against 2.6.0. Go, would you have time to send that patch in to the
>> | scsi team at [email protected]?
>>
>> yes,
>>
>> remark:
>>
>> ~ Originally this patch has been released by Go Taniguchi at
>> http://pkgcvs.turbolinux.co.jp/~go/patch-2.6/dpt_i2o.patch
>>
>> patch attached
>

> Sorry, my question was directed to Go Taniguchi <[email protected]> - Go
> should submit the patch.

Yea, I sent an mail to LKML in the end of last year regarding this issue.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107275564119915&w=2

However, I think that Adaptec probably just re-make a new version of dpt_i2o.
My patch may differ from the Adaptec policy.

I thought that it may be good for someone need the driver before Adaptec
completed the driver. What's why I uploaded my patch onto web.

The number of the access is over 1000 now after I counted it.

Please merge to Andrew's tree if Adaptec does not mind.

This is my patch same as send from Clemens.
http://pkgcvs.turbolinux.co.jp/~go/patch-2.6/dpt_i2o.patch

2004-04-28 21:05:24

by Leon Toh

Subject: Re: Re: 2.6.6-rc2-mm2 + Adaptec I2O

Hi Andrew,

I would prefer and more comfortable to see this version merge rather than
dpt_i2o.patch. The best person to check this with is Mark back at Adaptec.
Anyway I'll also check with him if he has a newer version available.

Best Regards,
Leon

At 09:00 PM 28/04/2004, [email protected]
wrote:
>Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:53:29 +0900
>From: Go Taniguchi <[email protected]>
>To: Andrew Morton <[email protected]>, [email protected]
>CC: Clemens Schwaighofer <[email protected]>, [email protected],
> [email protected]
>Subject: Re: 2.6.6-rc2-mm2 + Adaptec I2O
>
>Hi,
>
>Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Clemens Schwaighofer <[email protected]> wrote:

> to the
> >>
> >> yes,
> >>
> >> remark:
> >>
> >> ~ Originally this patch has been released by Go Taniguchi at
> >> http://pkgcvs.turbolinux.co.jp/~go/patch-2.6/dpt_i2o.patch
> >>
> >> patch attached
> >

> > Sorry, my question was directed to Go Taniguchi <[email protected]> - Go
> > should submit the patch.
>
>Yea, I sent an mail to LKML in the end of last year regarding this issue.
>http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=107275564119915&w=2
>
>However, I think that Adaptec probably just re-make a new version of dpt_i2o.
>My patch may differ from the Adaptec policy.
>
>I thought that it may be good for someone need the driver before Adaptec
>completed the driver. What's why I uploaded my patch onto web.
>
>The number of the access is over 1000 now after I counted it.
>
>Please merge to Andrew's tree if Adaptec does not mind.
>
>This is my patch same as send from Clemens.
>http://pkgcvs.turbolinux.co.jp/~go/patch-2.6/dpt_i2o.patch
>

>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

dpt_i2o-2.5.0-2317.tgz (55.94 kB)