2004-06-15 21:06:03

by Peter Maas

Subject: 3ware 9500S Drivers (mm kernel)

I've been using the 3ware 9500 drivers in the mm kernel for a while now
without any problems, this is on a dual opteron with a 9500S-12 controller
with 6 disk formatted as a raid-5. Are these going to be included in the
vanilla kernel soon?

My only complaints with the drivers are that smartctl doesnt work with them
(fedora core 2), and the 3ware management tools from the 3ware cd wont work
with the mm drivers (wont detect controller).

Thanks

Peter Maas

2004-06-15 21:47:27

by Cláudio Martins

Subject: Re: 3ware 9500S Drivers (mm kernel)

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 22:05, Peter Maas wrote:

> My only complaints with the drivers are that smartctl doesnt work with them
> (fedora core 2), and the 3ware management tools from the 3ware cd wont work
> with the mm drivers (wont detect controller).

By the way, right now smartctl doesn't seem to work at all with SATA using
the libata drivers, because AFAIK libata hasn't been taught to pass through
the required S.M.A.R.T commands to the drive yet.

Does anyone know how difficult is this to code, or if it is necessary to
change the scsi layer as well as libata? I'm willing to assist in testing any
patches to add the possibility of using smartmontools with libata drivers.

Regards

Claudio

2004-06-15 22:06:15

by Adam Radford

Peter,

The 3ware management tools quit working when we removed the proc_name interface
during the re-write and created sysfs attributes. We are modifying the 3ware
management tools to use the sysfs interface for rescan's, etc.

I am also working with Bruce Allen (smartmontools developer) to make the
3w-9xxx driver work with smartmontools. This shouldn't require any driver changes.

-Adam

I've been using the 3ware 9500 drivers in the mm kernel for a while now
without any problems, this is on a dual opteron with a 9500S-12 controller
with 6 disk formatted as a raid-5. Are these going to be included in the
vanilla kernel soon?

My only complaints with the drivers are that smartctl doesnt work with them
(fedora core 2), and the 3ware management tools from the 3ware cd wont work
with the mm drivers (wont detect controller).

Thanks

Peter Maas

2004-06-16 05:08:02

by Bruce Allen

> I am also working with Bruce Allen (smartmontools developer) to make
> the 3w-9xxx driver work with smartmontools. This shouldn't require
> any driver changes.

This should happen on the timescale of two weeks. I've got a 9500 series
controller on hand and some SATA disks on order. Once the disks arrive,
with Adam's help it shouldn't take me long to get smartmontools working on
the 9500 series controllers.

The most novel aspect is that this will use the driver's character device
interface rather than the block interface.

Cheers,
Bruce

2004-06-16 05:13:11

by Bruce Allen

Hi Claudio,

> By the way, right now smartctl doesn't seem to work at all with SATA
> using the libata drivers, because AFAIK libata hasn't been taught to
> pass through the required S.M.A.R.T commands to the drive yet.

Jeff Garzik intends to add a passthru ioctl to libata, specifically for
applications like smartmontools. As soon as he's done this, we'll add
another '-d sata' device type to utilize that ioctl().

> Does anyone know how difficult is this to code, or if it is necessary
> to change the scsi layer as well as libata? I'm willing to assist in
> testing any patches to add the possibility of using smartmontools with
> libata drivers.

I don't know the answer but suspect that the scsi layer can handle this
'as is'. In fact the 3ware support in smartmontools passes all commands
through the scsi layer.

I appreciate the offer to act as a tester -- you'll probably hear from me
when this work is in progress, to take you up on it.

Cheers,
Bruce

2004-06-16 17:02:33

by Jurgen Kramer

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 23:05, Peter Maas wrote:
> I've been using the 3ware 9500 drivers in the mm kernel for a while now
> without any problems, this is on a dual opteron with a 9500S-12 controller
> with 6 disk formatted as a raid-5. Are these going to be included in the
> vanilla kernel soon?
>
> My only complaints with the drivers are that smartctl doesnt work with them
> (fedora core 2), and the 3ware management tools from the 3ware cd wont work
> with the mm drivers (wont detect controller).
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter Maas

smartctl doesn't work with the original 3ware 2.6 source drivers either.
3dm2 works though. Maybe you can check what the differences are between
the mm driver and the 3ware one?

There also should be an updated 2.6 source driver available from 3ware
by now.

Jurgen