2005-01-13 14:07:53

by Con Kolivas

Subject: 2.6.10-ck4

These are patches designed to improve system responsiveness. It is
configurable to any workload but the default ck4 patch is aimed at the
desktop and ck4-server is available with more emphasis on serverspace.

http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.10/2.6.10-ck4/

web:
http://kernel.kolivas.org
all patches:
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/

I recommend all ck3 users upgrade.

2.6.10-ck3 was a brown paper bag release. A poorly considered last
minute change made for some odd starvation problems. For this release I
rewrote a large section of the staircase code that had been troubling me
and been getting steadily worse. In the process I've made the semantics
of resuming an old timeslice much simpler and more predictable.

Changed:
-cfq-ts-19g.diff
+cfq-ts-20.diff
Jens' latest incarnation of the cfq-timeslices patch with i/o priority
support for read and write has much smoother read vs write
characteristics now.

Added:
+s10_test1.diff
+s10_s10.1.diff
+s10.1_s10.2.diff
+s10.2_s10.3.diff
Staircase updates

+1504_vmscan-writeback-pages.patch
A fix for more oom-kill problems.

Thanks to the many people involved in testing the staircase changes and
reporting back.

Cheers,
Con

Attachments:
signature.asc (256.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2005-01-13 16:36:00

by Alexey Dobriyan

Subject: Re: 2.6.10-ck4

Problems rebooting here. Don't have them in 2.6.10 and 2.6.11-rc1.

If you want complete messages, just ask. I will write them down into
electronic form.

First time there was an unstoppable infinite loop of quickly moving USB

Third time:

[<c0113160>] do_page_fault+0x0/0x562
[<c010398f>] error_code+0x2b/0x30
[<c0113160>] do_page_fault+0x0/0x562
[<c01133fe>] do_page_fault+0x97/0x562
[repeat several times to fit console]
Code: [snip]
<0> Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt.

Second time:

[<c0113160>] do_page_fault+0x0/0x562
[<c0113160>] do_page_fault+0x0/0x562
[<c01133fe>] do_page_fault+0x29e/0x562
[many tty related functions snipped]
[<c0113160>] do_page_fault+0x0/0x562
[<c0113160>] do_page_fault+0x0/0x562
[<c01133fe>] do_page_fault+0x29e/0x562
Code: [snip]
<0> Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt.

Other than that everything seems to be ok.

Alexey

2005-01-13 19:14:19

by Rodney Gordon II

Subject: Re: [ck] 2.6.10-ck4

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 01:07 +1100, Con Kolivas wrote:
> 2.6.10-ck3 was a brown paper bag release. A poorly considered last
> minute change made for some odd starvation problems. For this release I
> rewrote a large section of the staircase code that had been troubling me
> and been getting steadily worse. In the process I've made the semantics
> of resuming an old timeslice much simpler and more predictable.

Very nice, though, I am still feeling a little bit of lag when compiling
a kernel at nice 0 (-j2/3 helps and running at nice 10 fixes) which was
not present in ck1/2, and not present in vanilla. I am assuming this
will be really hard to track down :(

As far as games and cedega, these problems and sound problems have been
fixed! :)

Now, if we can get rid of that lag at nice 0, it'd be perfect!

Good work Con.

-r
--
Rodney Gordon II (meff) | meff <at> pobox <dot> com

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2005-01-13 23:01:01

by Christian Axelsson

Are there any plans on putting back reiser4 in -ck?
Im looking for a patchet that has reiser4 and that is more friendly
towards ati-drivers and other 3rd-party modules (no massive api-changes).

Christian

2005-01-14 01:18:16

by Con Kolivas

Christian Axelsson wrote:
> Are there any plans on putting back reiser4 in -ck?
> Im looking for a patchet that has reiser4 and that is more friendly
> towards ati-drivers and other 3rd-party modules (no massive api-changes).

The -cko and -nitro patches use -ck as their base and add reiser4. Wait
till they sync up with the latest ck and use those (the url is available
from my web page).

Cheers,
Con

Attachments:
signature.asc (256.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2005-01-14 01:24:54

by Con Kolivas

Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> Problems rebooting here. Don't have them in 2.6.10 and 2.6.11-rc1.
>
> If you want complete messages, just ask. I will write them down into
> electronic form.
>
> First time there was an unstoppable infinite loop of quickly moving USB
>
> Third time:

> <0> Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt.
>
> Second time:
>
> [<c0113160>] do_page_fault+0x0/0x562

> <0> Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt.

This is funny:

> Other than that everything seems to be ok.

Is that like saying "the operation was a success but the patient died" ?

Sorry I have no idea what those are.

Cheers,
Con

Attachments: