2005-02-20 23:23:28

by Joshua Hudson

Subject: Help - really messed up kernel

I am trying to install linux on a laptop that cannot boot from cdrom.
I got a stripped-down kernel to boot from floppy, ran lspci to get
the hardware information.

I then reconfigured and rebuilt the kernel for the image.

I built this kernel from stock 2.6.10 from http://www.kernel.org.
This is the configuration file. I then installed it on a floppy disk
with syslinux, then tried to boot it.

boot: vmlinuz root=/dev/fd0 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=1
(my ramdisk is the next flooppy, this kernel is 1.3mb)
Did not load the ramdisk.
I got an error about unable to open root on "<NULL>" or device 22,6.
Hmm. So, I ran rdev to set the kernel default root to /dev/fd0 and booted.

Result: loaded the ramdisk, then complained about lack of a valid
filesystem on /dev/fd0

Hmm. I've never seen anything like this before.

Attachments:
kernel.config (25.27 kB)

2005-02-21 00:52:46

by Brian Beattie

Subject: Re: Help - really messed up kernel

On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 15:22 -0800, Joshua Hudson wrote:
> I am trying to install linux on a laptop that cannot boot from cdrom.
I handled this by putting smart-boot http://btmgr.webframe.org/ in the
hard drive MBR from a dos floppy, smart-boot can boot from a cdrom.
Then as long as you don't wipe out your MBR you can still boot from a
cdrom.

--
Brian Beattie LFS12947 | "Honor isn't about making the right choices.
[email protected] | It's about dealing with the consequences."

2005-02-21 01:05:28

by Joshua Hudson

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005, Brian Beattie wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-02-20 at 15:22 -0800, Joshua Hudson wrote:
> > I am trying to install linux on a laptop that cannot boot from cdrom.
> I handled this by putting smart-boot http://btmgr.webframe.org/ in the
> hard drive MBR from a dos floppy, smart-boot can boot from a cdrom.
> Then as long as you don't wipe out your MBR you can still boot from a
> cdrom.

Ah yes, that crashes. Spotted it in Slackware 10 install CD, but it
doesn't work on this system. Too bad.
> --
> Brian Beattie LFS12947 | "Honor isn't about making the right choices.
> [email protected] | It's about dealing with the consequences."
> http://www.beattie-home.net | -- Midori Koto

2005-02-21 02:25:53

by Pedro Venda

2005-02-21 04:50:55

by Joshua Hudson

Thinks for trying. I finally found the problem myself.
There is some incompatability between syslinux 2.10 and kernel 2.6.10
Using lilo on the first floppy fixed the problem

Oh, and no I am *not* using an initrd. I am using the old paramiters
that cause the kernel to load the ramdisk after it boots.