2005-03-10 22:20:54

by Andrew Clayton

Subject: Problem with 2.6.11-bk[3456]

Hi,

Got a problem here with the last few Linus -bk releases.

2.6.11-bk2 is running fine.

2.6.11-bk3 - 2.6.11-bk6 has the following problem:

Everything is fine while the machine is booting. However as soon as X
starts up the screen goes blank as normal but stays blank, no gdm login
screen and the hard disk and floppy drive lights are on continuously.
The machine is now locked up solid and needs a hard reset.

I tried a serial console but get nothing after the kernel messages and
the agetty login.

The machine is question is an UP Athlon 1800+ XP with 768MB RAM, the
graphics card is an AGP ATI Radeon 9200SE using the kernel AGP/DRM
drivers and the Xorg radeon driver.

It's running FC3.

I've put 2.6.11-bk2 and 2.6.11-bk6 config's, dmesg's and an lspc -vv up
on the web.

http://digital-domain.net/kernel/2.6.11-bk2.config
http://digital-domain.net/kernel/2.6.11-bk6.config
http://digital-domain.net/kernel/2.6.11-bk2.dmesg
http://digital-domain.net/kernel/2.6.11-bk6.dmesg
http://digital-domain.net/kernel/lspci-vv

When looking at this the other day I did get a message on the serial
console after X started and the machine locked, about uhci host
controller being disabled or something. Unfortunately I didn't make a
note of it and didn't get it today for when I was preparing this report.

Looking at the two dmesg's there is some difference in the usb messages.

Anyway, thanks for your time and if you need any more info just let me
know.

Cheers,

Andrew Clayton

2005-03-15 10:50:53

by Dave Airlie

Subject: Re: Problem with 2.6.11-bk[3456]

> Got a problem here with the last few Linus -bk releases.
>
> 2.6.11-bk2 is running fine.
>
> 2.6.11-bk3 - 2.6.11-bk6 has the following problem:
>
> Everything is fine while the machine is booting. However as soon as X
> starts up the screen goes blank as normal but stays blank, no gdm login
> screen and the hard disk and floppy drive lights are on continuously.
> The machine is now locked up solid and needs a hard reset.
>
> I tried a serial console but get nothing after the kernel messages and
> the agetty login.
>
> The machine is question is an UP Athlon 1800+ XP with 768MB RAM, the
> graphics card is an AGP ATI Radeon 9200SE using the kernel AGP/DRM
> drivers and the Xorg radeon driver.
>
> It's running FC3.
>
> I've put 2.6.11-bk2 and 2.6.11-bk6 config's, dmesg's and an lspc -vv up
> on the web.
>
> http://digital-domain.net/kernel/2.6.11-bk2.config
> http://digital-domain.net/kernel/2.6.11-bk6.config
> http://digital-domain.net/kernel/2.6.11-bk2.dmesg
> http://digital-domain.net/kernel/2.6.11-bk6.dmesg
> http://digital-domain.net/kernel/lspci-vv
>
> When looking at this the other day I did get a message on the serial
> console after X started and the machine locked, about uhci host
> controller being disabled or something. Unfortunately I didn't make a
> note of it and didn't get it today for when I was preparing this report.
>
> Looking at the two dmesg's there is some difference in the usb messages.
>
> Anyway, thanks for your time and if you need any more info just let me
> know.

This is the same problem as i just mailed everyone about.. more
information here...

Dave.

2005-03-15 10:57:44

by Andrew Clayton

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 10:50 +0000, Dave Airlie wrote:
> > Got a problem here with the last few Linus -bk releases.
> >
> > 2.6.11-bk2 is running fine.
> >
> > 2.6.11-bk3 - 2.6.11-bk6 has the following problem:
> >
> > Everything is fine while the machine is booting. However as soon as X
> > starts up the screen goes blank as normal but stays blank, no gdm login
> > screen and the hard disk and floppy drive lights are on continuously.
> > The machine is now locked up solid and needs a hard reset.

2.6.11-bk10 is a slight improvement in that the machine isn't completely
dead and I can ctrl+alt+delete it...

> This is the same problem as i just mailed everyone about.. more
> information here...
>
> Dave.

Cheers,

Andrew

2005-03-22 00:29:54

by Andrew Morton

Andrew Clayton <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Got a problem here with the last few Linus -bk releases.
>
> 2.6.11-bk2 is running fine.
>
> 2.6.11-bk3 - 2.6.11-bk6 has the following problem:

We had a bit of an AGP disaster between -bk2 and -bk3. There's an
in-progress fix in 2.6.12-rc1-mm1. Are you able to test that?

> Everything is fine while the machine is booting. However as soon as X
> starts up the screen goes blank as normal but stays blank, no gdm login
> screen and the hard disk and floppy drive lights are on continuously.
> The machine is now locked up solid and needs a hard reset.
>
> I tried a serial console but get nothing after the kernel messages and
> the agetty login.
>
> The machine is question is an UP Athlon 1800+ XP with 768MB RAM, the
> graphics card is an AGP ATI Radeon 9200SE using the kernel AGP/DRM
> drivers and the Xorg radeon driver.
>
> It's running FC3.
>

> I've put 2.6.11-bk2 and 2.6.11-bk6 config's, dmesg's and an lspc -vv up
> on the web.
>
> http://digital-domain.net/kernel/2.6.11-bk2.config
> http://digital-domain.net/kernel/2.6.11-bk6.config
> http://digital-domain.net/kernel/2.6.11-bk2.dmesg
> http://digital-domain.net/kernel/2.6.11-bk6.dmesg
> http://digital-domain.net/kernel/lspci-vv
>

> When looking at this the other day I did get a message on the serial
> console after X started and the machine locked, about uhci host
> controller being disabled or something. Unfortunately I didn't make a
> note of it and didn't get it today for when I was preparing this report.
>
> Looking at the two dmesg's there is some difference in the usb messages.
>

> Anyway, thanks for your time and if you need any more info just let me
> know.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Andrew Clayton
>

> -

by Andrew Clayton

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 16:26 -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Andrew Clayton <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Got a problem here with the last few Linus -bk releases.
> >
> > 2.6.11-bk2 is running fine.
> >
> > 2.6.11-bk3 - 2.6.11-bk6 has the following problem:
>
> We had a bit of an AGP disaster between -bk2 and -bk3. There's an
> in-progress fix in 2.6.12-rc1-mm1. Are you able to test that?

Yeah, I did.

The machine still locked up as soon as X started.

I'll happily test any patches there may be...

[snip]

Cheers,

Andrew