2005-03-16 16:49:58

by Michael Tokarev

Subject: 2.6.11.x, EXTRAVERSION and module compatibility

As far as I can see, the "super-stable" kernel releases
should not affect module ABI in any way, that is, a module
compiled for 2.6.11 or 2.6.11.2 should work with 2.6.11.4
and vise versa. Ofcourse I'm talking about modules which
are out of the main kernel tree.

But. EXTRAVERSION gets changed with every 2.6.11.x release,
thus making out-of-tree modules incompatible just because
they contain different kernel version tag.

The question is obvious: Is this a correct/intended behaviour?
Maybe, just maybe, EXTRAVERSION should not be taken into
account when desciding if a given module compiled for a
given kernel?

Thanks.

/mjt

2005-03-16 17:00:34

by Arjan van de Ven

Subject: Re: 2.6.11.x, EXTRAVERSION and module compatibility

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 19:48 +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> As far as I can see, the "super-stable" kernel releases
> should not affect module ABI in any way

that is an assumption that seems quite invalid to me in general at
least.