2005-04-07 06:32:17

by Guillaume Thouvenin

Subject: connector is missing in 2.6.12-rc2-mm1

Hello,

I don't see the connector directory in the 2.6.12-rc2-mm1 tree. So it
seems that you removed the connector? Will you include it again in futur
release? At the same time, will you include the fork connector?

Thanks for your help,
Best regards,
Guillaume

2005-04-07 06:43:54

by Andrew Morton

Subject: Re: connector is missing in 2.6.12-rc2-mm1

Guillaume Thouvenin <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't see the connector directory in the 2.6.12-rc2-mm1 tree. So it
> seems that you removed the connector?

Greg dropped it for some reason. I think that's best because it needed a
significant amount of rework. I'd like to see it resubitted in totality so
we can take another look at it.

It's a new piece of core kernel infrastructure and the barriers for that
are necessarily high.

> Will you include it again in futur
> release? At the same time, will you include the fork connector?

I could put the fork connector into -mm, but would like to be convinced
that it's acceptable to and useful for all system accounting requirements,
not just the one project. That means code, please.

2005-04-07 08:21:27

by Greg KH

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:42:57PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Guillaume Thouvenin <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I don't see the connector directory in the 2.6.12-rc2-mm1 tree. So it
> > seems that you removed the connector?
>
> Greg dropped it for some reason. I think that's best because it needed a
> significant amount of rework. I'd like to see it resubitted in totality so
> we can take another look at it.

Greg dropped it because he's radically changing the way he handles
patches. I still have them around here somewhere...

Yeah, here they are. Hm, I'd really like to stop carrying them around,
as my workload doesn't lend itself to handling these.

If you don't mind, can you create up a new connector, super-io, and
kobject-connector patch and send them to andrew for him to add to -mm?
That way I'll not have to worry about them anymore, as they keep
floating in-and-out of the -mm releases depending on the state of my
trees. I can still handle your w1 patches, and have 2 of them pending.

Is that ok with you?

thanks,

greg k-h

2005-04-07 08:27:34

by Evgeniy Polyakov

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 01:17 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:42:57PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Guillaume Thouvenin <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I don't see the connector directory in the 2.6.12-rc2-mm1 tree. So it
> > > seems that you removed the connector?
> >
> > Greg dropped it for some reason. I think that's best because it needed a
> > significant amount of rework. I'd like to see it resubitted in totality so
> > we can take another look at it.
>
> Greg dropped it because he's radically changing the way he handles
> patches. I still have them around here somewhere...

He probably was quite dissapointed/overflowed by it's quality and
quantity, but please thank him for his comments and tell him it
was very pleasant to work with.

> Yeah, here they are. Hm, I'd really like to stop carrying them around,
> as my workload doesn't lend itself to handling these.
>
> If you don't mind, can you create up a new connector, super-io, and
> kobject-connector patch and send them to andrew for him to add to -mm?
> That way I'll not have to worry about them anymore, as they keep
> floating in-and-out of the -mm releases depending on the state of my
> trees. I can still handle your w1 patches, and have 2 of them pending.
>
> Is that ok with you?

Ok, I will prepare new series of that patches and will push them
upstream.

Thank you.

--
Evgeniy Polyakov

Crash is better than data corruption -- Arthur Grabowski

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2005-04-07 08:31:20

by Greg KH

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 12:30:49PM +0400, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 01:17 -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> > > Greg dropped it for some reason. I think that's best because it needed a
> > > significant amount of rework. I'd like to see it resubitted in totality so
> > > we can take another look at it.
> >
> > Greg dropped it because he's radically changing the way he handles
> > patches. I still have them around here somewhere...
>
> He probably was quite dissapointed/overflowed by it's quality and
> quantity, but please thank him for his comments and tell him it
> was very pleasant to work with.

Heh, that must have been what happened... :)

> > Yeah, here they are. Hm, I'd really like to stop carrying them around,
> > as my workload doesn't lend itself to handling these.
> >
> > If you don't mind, can you create up a new connector, super-io, and
> > kobject-connector patch and send them to andrew for him to add to -mm?
> > That way I'll not have to worry about them anymore, as they keep
> > floating in-and-out of the -mm releases depending on the state of my
> > trees. I can still handle your w1 patches, and have 2 of them pending.
> >
> > Is that ok with you?
>
> Ok, I will prepare new series of that patches and will push them
> upstream.

Great, that makes my life a lot easier. Thanks.

greg k-h