2006-05-14 14:54:11

by Pavel Machek

Subject: MMC drivers for 2.6 collie

Hi!

I've tried searching sharp patches for MMC support, but could not find
it. Or should MMC_ARMMMCI work on collie?
Pavel

by Richard Purdie

Subject: Re: MMC drivers for 2.6 collie

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 16:53 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> I've tried searching sharp patches for MMC support, but could not find
> it. Or should MMC_ARMMMCI work on collie?

Sharp's 2.4 MMC/SD drivers were binary only for all Zaurus models. Since
we have documentation on the PXA, a 2.6 driver exists and works for all
PXA models as we could guess the power controls and GPIOs. Collie
(SA1100 based) used some kind of SPI interface through the LOCOMO chip
(as far as I know) which we have no documentation on.

--
Richard

2006-05-14 16:24:54

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > I've tried searching sharp patches for MMC support, but could not find
> > it. Or should MMC_ARMMMCI work on collie?
>
> Sharp's 2.4 MMC/SD drivers were binary only for all Zaurus models. Since
> we have documentation on the PXA, a 2.6 driver exists and works for all
> PXA models as we could guess the power controls and GPIOs. Collie
> (SA1100 based) used some kind of SPI interface through the LOCOMO chip
> (as far as I know) which we have no documentation on.

I thought we had completely open-source version at one point?

Pavel

by John Lenz

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 18:24 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > I've tried searching sharp patches for MMC support, but could not find
> > > it. Or should MMC_ARMMMCI work on collie?
> >
> > Sharp's 2.4 MMC/SD drivers were binary only for all Zaurus models. Since
> > we have documentation on the PXA, a 2.6 driver exists and works for all
> > PXA models as we could guess the power controls and GPIOs. Collie
> > (SA1100 based) used some kind of SPI interface through the LOCOMO chip
> > (as far as I know) which we have no documentation on.
>
> I thought we had completely open-source version at one point?

No, not for the MMC on collie. At least, the patch to the 2.4 kernel
which I based my 2.6 code on did not have any MMC parts, and the
openzaurus distro at the time still included the binary module in the
rom.

IIRC, Chris Larson signed a NDA and got the specs for the MMC device on
collie to develop it for 2.6, but I don't think anything ever came of
it. I also might be remembering he signed a NDA for some other
component, but I think it was the MMC device. Also, the poodle and
collie used different device controllers, so the work will not transfer
over. :(

John

2006-05-16 13:48:25

by Pavel Machek

On Ne 14-05-06 20:37:49, John Lenz wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 18:24 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!

> > > Sharp's 2.4 MMC/SD drivers were binary only for all Zaurus models. Since
> > > we have documentation on the PXA, a 2.6 driver exists and works for all
> > > PXA models as we could guess the power controls and GPIOs. Collie
> > > (SA1100 based) used some kind of SPI interface through the LOCOMO chip
> > > (as far as I know) which we have no documentation on.
> >
> > I thought we had completely open-source version at one point?
>
> No, not for the MMC on collie. At least, the patch to the 2.4 kernel
> which I based my 2.6 code on did not have any MMC parts, and the
> openzaurus distro at the time still included the binary module in the
> rom.
>
> IIRC, Chris Larson signed a NDA and got the specs for the MMC device on
> collie to develop it for 2.6, but I don't think anything ever came of
> it. I also might be remembering he signed a NDA for some other
> component, but I think it was the MMC device. Also, the poodle and
> collie used different device controllers, so the work will not transfer
> over. :(

Bad... I need CF slot for bluetooth card, and 14MB is not really
enough memory. I guess there's no reasonable way to "split" CF slot in
two?

Pavel

by Paulo Marques

Pavel Machek wrote:
>[...]
>
> Bad... I need CF slot for bluetooth card, and 14MB is not really
> enough memory. I guess there's no reasonable way to "split" CF slot in
> two?

For 802.11b (and not Bluetooth) you have this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BVYSM/ref=ase_honxx/103-7562382-4079049?s=electronics&v=glance&n=172282&tagActionCode=honxx

I think this is not manufactured anymore and I've never tried one
myself. I just wanted to point out that there is actually a way to
"split" a CF slot in two ;)

--
Paulo Marques - http://www.grupopie.com

Pointy-Haired Boss: I don't see anything that could stand in our way.
Dilbert: Sanity? Reality? The laws of physics?