2002-12-09 19:55:14

by Andrew Grover

Subject: RE: [ACPI] Re: [2.5.50, ACPI] link error

> From: Ducrot Bruno [mailto:[email protected]]

> > I think that s4bios is nice to have. Its similar to S3 and easier to
> > set up than swsusp... It would be nice to have it.
>
> for me:
> pros:
> -----
> 1- it is really really more easier to implement than S4;
> 2- we can even have it with 2.4 kernels (it seems that it work without
> the need of freezing processes, but I suspect that this statement
> is 'wrong' by nature).
>
> cons:
> -----
> 1- it is much slower (especially at save time) than your swsusp;
> 2- end users must setup their systems (need to create a
> suspend partition,
> or to keep a vfat partition as the really first one (/dev/hda1));
> 3- we use a bios function. Actually, everything can happen...
>
> That why I prefer swsusp at this time, or any other
> implementation of S4 (I
> think about an implementation of S4 via LKCD).

I concur with your pros and cons. This makes me think that if S4BIOS support
ever gets added, it should get added to 2.4 only.

Regards -- Andy

2002-12-10 00:04:52

by Alan

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 19:12, Grover, Andrew wrote:
> I concur with your pros and cons. This makes me think that if S4BIOS support
> ever gets added, it should get added to 2.4 only.

That assumes no box exists where S4bios works an S4 doesnt (eg due to
bad tables or "knowing" what other-os does)

2002-12-10 20:32:50

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > I concur with your pros and cons. This makes me think that if S4BIOS support
> > ever gets added, it should get added to 2.4 only.

And S4BIOS will never get added to 2.4 since it needs driver model
:-(.

> That assumes no box exists where S4bios works an S4 doesnt (eg due to
> bad tables or "knowing" what other-os does)

We have full control over S4 (== swsusp), so we can fix that in most
cases.

S4BIOS is still little friendlier to the user -- no need to set up
swap partition and command line parameter, can't go wrong if you boot
without resume=, etc.
Pavel

--
Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.

2002-12-10 21:05:30

by Andrew McGregor

I strongly suspect that s4bios will work on this machine, but swsusp won't.
Why? It's a Dell Inspiron 8000 with an NVidia Geforce2go, and until NVidia
put pm support in their driver, it's game over for Linux. Except that the
BIOS knows how to suspend it, so some kernel/driver combinations work with
APM. I suspect any Geforce2go Dell is the same.

Andrew

--On Tuesday, December 10, 2002 21:40:31 +0100 Pavel Machek <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> > I concur with your pros and cons. This makes me think that if S4BIOS
>> > support ever gets added, it should get added to 2.4 only.
>
> And S4BIOS will never get added to 2.4 since it needs driver model
> :-(.
>
>> That assumes no box exists where S4bios works an S4 doesnt (eg due to
>> bad tables or "knowing" what other-os does)
>
> We have full control over S4 (== swsusp), so we can fix that in most
> cases.
>
> S4BIOS is still little friendlier to the user -- no need to set up
> swap partition and command line parameter, can't go wrong if you boot
> without resume=, etc.
> Pavel
>
> --
> Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
> cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.
> -

by Andrew McGregor

Subject: Re: [ACPI] Dell i8k was: Re: [2.5.50, ACPI] link error

Hmm, when I boot 2.5.51 w/ACPI on it with a battery installed, it panics.
By booting without and then inserting the battery, I got the attached oops.
See also the messages in the dmesg output.

Andrew

--On Wednesday, December 11, 2002 09:50:48 +1300 Andrew McGregor
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I strongly suspect that s4bios will work on this machine, but swsusp
> won't. Why? It's a Dell Inspiron 8000 with an NVidia Geforce2go, and
> until NVidia put pm support in their driver, it's game over for Linux.
> Except that the BIOS knows how to suspend it, so some kernel/driver
> combinations work with APM. I suspect any Geforce2go Dell is the same.
>
> Andrew
>
> --On Tuesday, December 10, 2002 21:40:31 +0100 Pavel Machek
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi!

>> And S4BIOS will never get added to 2.4 since it needs driver model
>> :-(.
>>
>>> That assumes no box exists where S4bios works an S4 doesnt (eg due to
>>> bad tables or "knowing" what other-os does)
>>
>> We have full control over S4 (== swsusp), so we can fix that in most
>> cases.
>>
>> S4BIOS is still little friendlier to the user -- no need to set up
>> swap partition and command line parameter, can't go wrong if you boot
>> without resume=, etc.
>> Pavel
>>
>> --
>> Casualities in World Trade Center: ~3k dead inside the building,
>> cryptography in U.S.A. and free speech in Czech Republic.
>> -
>> in the body of a message to [email protected]
>> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>>

> -

(No filename) (2.01 kB)
battery-2.5.51.oops (4.87 kB)
dmesg-2.5.51 (13.34 kB)

by Bruno Ducrot

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:40:31PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > I concur with your pros and cons. This makes me think that if S4BIOS support
> > > ever gets added, it should get added to 2.4 only.
>
> And S4BIOS will never get added to 2.4 since it needs driver model
> :-(.

Well, it worked for me with 2.4 with 'basic' pm_send_xxx

--
Ducrot Bruno

-- Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
-- Don't know. Don't care.

2002-12-11 10:06:58

by Bruno Ducrot

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 09:50:48AM +1300, Andrew McGregor wrote:
> I strongly suspect that s4bios will work on this machine, but swsusp won't.
> Why? It's a Dell Inspiron 8000 with an NVidia Geforce2go, and until NVidia
> put pm support in their driver, it's game over for Linux. Except that the
> BIOS knows how to suspend it, so some kernel/driver combinations work with
> APM. I suspect any Geforce2go Dell is the same.

No. You are wrong. I need to suspend allmost all the drivers, and the
video chipset is not an execption (or go to a console before suspending,
in fact).
You still need to bug NVIDIA in order to have proper pm support
in their driver.

--
Ducrot Bruno

-- Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
-- Don't know. Don't care.

2002-12-11 15:19:22

by Alan

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 10:14, Ducrot Bruno wrote:
> No. You are wrong. I need to suspend allmost all the drivers, and the
> video chipset is not an execption (or go to a console before suspending,
> in fact).
> You still need to bug NVIDIA in order to have proper pm support
> in their driver.

To an extent. However you can also switch back to text mode on suspend
to disk, then resume back into text mode and effectively switch back
into X11