2006-11-27 22:47:20

by Łukasz Stelmach

Subject: autoconf.h and auto.conf missing

Greetings.

It seems that someone has broken *conf programs in 2.6.18 because
only "make silentoldconfig" recreates autoconf.h and auto.conf
properly after configuration (.config) has changed.

I do everything as I always have done.
1. create an empty dir and put my current .config there
2. make O=dir oldconfig
3. compile, everything seems to be OK here
4. do some changes to .config and make oldconfig once again
BZZZZZT
5. auto.conf and autoconf.h don't change along with .config and when
I build the kernel once again new settings don't take effect.

I discovered I have to make silentoldconfig to regenerate autoconf
files. However, this *seems* to force rebuilding of all the objects
instead of, what it has always done, only those that depend on
altered configurations.

Has anyone else seen something like this? Is it a bug or a feature?

Best regards,

Please CC, I am not a subscriber.
--
Było mi bardzo miło. Czwarta pospolita klęska, [...]
>Łukasz< Już nie katolicka lecz złodziejska. (c)PP

Attachments:
signature.asc (252.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2006-11-28 11:19:33

by Roman Zippel

Subject: Re: autoconf.h and auto.conf missing

Hi,

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006, Lukasz Stelmach wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> It seems that someone has broken *conf programs in 2.6.18 because

Unmodified 2.6.18?

> only "make silentoldconfig" recreates autoconf.h and auto.conf
> properly after configuration (.config) has changed.

That's correct. The other config targets only touch the .config file and a
dependency on it regenerates all other build relevant files (by calling
silentoldconfig).

> I do everything as I always have done.
> 1. create an empty dir and put my current .config there
> 2. make O=dir oldconfig
> 3. compile, everything seems to be OK here
> 4. do some changes to .config and make oldconfig once again
> BZZZZZT
> 5. auto.conf and autoconf.h don't change along with .config and when
> I build the kernel once again new settings don't take effect.
>
> I discovered I have to make silentoldconfig to regenerate autoconf
> files. However, this *seems* to force rebuilding of all the objects
> instead of, what it has always done, only those that depend on
> altered configurations.

I cannot reproduce this, you have to provide some more detailed
information, e.g. please send your original .config and what exactly you
changed there.

bye, Roman

2006-11-29 14:20:47

by Sergio Monteiro Basto

Subject: make oldconfig problem Re: autoconf.h and auto.conf missing

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 23:47 +0100, Lukasz Stelmach wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> It seems that someone has broken *conf programs in 2.6.18 because
> only "make silentoldconfig" recreates autoconf.h and auto.conf
> properly after configuration (.config) has changed.
>
> I do everything as I always have done.
> 1. create an empty dir and put my current .config there
> 2. make O=dir oldconfig
> 3. compile, everything seems to be OK here
> 4. do some changes to .config and make oldconfig once again
> BZZZZZT

yap I have the same problem

to workaround I just do make xconfig and click on save.

I like to have some more input about this ....

Thanks,