2007-01-04 18:47:59

by Kasper Sandberg

Subject: BUG, 2.6.20-rc3 raid autodetection

Hello.

i just attempted to test .20-rc3-git4 on a box, which has 6 drives in
raid5. it uses raid autodetection, and 2 ide controllers (via and
promise 20269).

there are two problems.

first, and most importantly, it doesent autodetect, i attempted with
both the old ide drivers, and the new pata on libata drivers, the drives
appears to be found, but the raid autoassembling just doesent happen.

this is .17, which works:
http://sh.nu/p/8001

this is .20-rc3-git4 which doesent work, in pata-on-libata mode:
http://sh.nu/p/8000

this is .20-rc3-git4 which doesent work, in old ide mode:
http://sh.nu/p/8002

second bug:
notice on these pastes the lines at bottom, the keyboard stuff, these
are repeated constantly, and caps/scrolllock button on keyboard is
blinking.

mvh.
Kasper Sandberg

Subject: Re: BUG, 2.6.20-rc3 raid autodetection

On 1/4/07, Kasper Sandberg <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> i just attempted to test .20-rc3-git4 on a box, which has 6 drives in
> raid5. it uses raid autodetection, and 2 ide controllers (via and
> promise 20269).
>
> there are two problems.
>
> first, and most importantly, it doesent autodetect, i attempted with
> both the old ide drivers, and the new pata on libata drivers, the drives
> appears to be found, but the raid autoassembling just doesent happen.
>
> this is .17, which works:
> http://sh.nu/p/8001
>
> this is .20-rc3-git4 which doesent work, in pata-on-libata mode:
> http://sh.nu/p/8000
>
> this is .20-rc3-git4 which doesent work, in old ide mode:
> http://sh.nu/p/8002

For some reason IDE disk driver is not claiming IDE devices.

Could you please double check that IDE disk driver is built-in
(CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y in the kernel configuration)
and not compiled as module?

Bart

2007-01-04 19:58:13

by Kasper Sandberg

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 20:07 +0100, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On 1/4/07, Kasper Sandberg <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > i just attempted to test .20-rc3-git4 on a box, which has 6 drives in
> > raid5. it uses raid autodetection, and 2 ide controllers (via and
> > promise 20269).
> >
> > there are two problems.
> >
> > first, and most importantly, it doesent autodetect, i attempted with
> > both the old ide drivers, and the new pata on libata drivers, the drives
> > appears to be found, but the raid autoassembling just doesent happen.
> >
> > this is .17, which works:
> > http://sh.nu/p/8001
> >
> > this is .20-rc3-git4 which doesent work, in pata-on-libata mode:
> > http://sh.nu/p/8000
> >
> > this is .20-rc3-git4 which doesent work, in old ide mode:
> > http://sh.nu/p/8002
>
> For some reason IDE disk driver is not claiming IDE devices.
>
> Could you please double check that IDE disk driver is built-in
> (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y in the kernel configuration)
> and not compiled as module?
i need not check even once, i do not have module support enabled, so
everything 1000000% surely is built in. this is the case for .17 too
(and earlier, this box was started with .15 i think.)

> Bart

2007-01-04 22:08:41

by Kasper Sandberg

On Thu, 2007-01-04 at 23:05 +0100, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On 1/4/07, Kasper Sandberg <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=y

> > > # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK is not set
> > >
> > > so not everything is "1000000% surely" built-in ;)
> > i see your point, im afraid i may have misinterpreted you, since you
> > said "and not compiled as module", so i thought you meant i had to make
> > sure it wasnt moduled only.
>
> You were right - I forgot about "CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=n" case.
>
> > i will try with this now, what about pataonlibata, do i need this for
>
> Please report if this fixes the issue.
yeah it did.

> > that too?
>
> for libata you need SCSI disk driver: CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
>
> [ libata is not independent subsystem like IDE but depends on SCSI,
> and I really don't know why this is not mentioned in config help ]
i knew that, i just thought it may select what it required, though i can
see that it isnt strictly required, just what one wishes often. :)

thanks for your help, will try with libata now.