2007-01-31 17:49:30

by Scott Lockwood

Subject: Unidentified Intel wifi network card

I'm looking for assistance with a wifi device I can't find a driver for,
the Intel Wireless 3945.

I"m getting this:

0000:0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 4222
(rev 02)

on a new Dell Latitude D820. Anyone know if there will be an open source
driver for this any time soon, or if there is one now?

I'm using the latest vendor supplied kernel, so my apologies if this has
already been done and I'm late to the party. I wasn't able to find much,
other than 'use the NDIS wrapper' which I really don't want to do.

Thanks for any assistance, at all,
Scott

2007-01-31 17:56:16

by Alan Cox

Subject: Re: Unidentified Intel wifi network card

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 11:30:23AM -0600, Scott Lockwood wrote:
> on a new Dell Latitude D820. Anyone know if there will be an open source
> driver for this any time soon, or if there is one now?

Intel have a mix of open source kernel module and binary daemon for
some bits. Hopefully we'll get a properly open one soon, until then the
bits you need should be on intel.com somewhere

2007-01-31 18:07:48

by David Hollis

http://ipw3945.sf.net
http://ieee80211.sf.net

--
David Hollis <[email protected]>

2007-01-31 18:40:39

by Kok, Auke

Scott Lockwood wrote:
> I'm looking for assistance with a wifi device I can't find a driver for,
> the Intel Wireless 3945.
>
> I"m getting this:
>
> 0000:0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 4222
> (rev 02)
>
> on a new Dell Latitude D820. Anyone know if there will be an open source
> driver for this any time soon, or if there is one now?
>
> I'm using the latest vendor supplied kernel, so my apologies if this has
> already been done and I'm late to the party. I wasn't able to find much,
> other than 'use the NDIS wrapper' which I really don't want to do.

http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,

Auke

PS google for '3945 driver linux' also showed this as #1 hit:
http://www.google.com/search?q=3945+driver+linux

2007-01-31 20:56:23

by Valdis Klētnieks

(Adding Adrian Bunk and Herbert Xu to the cc: list)

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:30:23 CST, Scott Lockwood said:
> I'm looking for assistance with a wifi device I can't find a driver for,
> the Intel Wireless 3945.
>
> I"m getting this:
>
> 0000:0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 4222
> (rev 02)
>
> on a new Dell Latitude D820. Anyone know if there will be an open source
> driver for this any time soon, or if there is one now?

http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net has almost everything you could possibly need.

Only gotcha I know of: Sometimes one of the ipw3945d kernel threads will
hang in a loop if the RFKill switch is set to "kill" when the system comes
up. I also don't know how it handles suspend, I don't use that on my D820.

I also needed to make 2 patches (attached) to make it work under recent -mm kernels,
with them I'm able to use it on 20-rc6-mm3.

Oh - the git-crypto-fix patch has to be applied with -R, I never got around to
re-diffing it the other way.

(Yes, I really should fix up these 2 and push them upstream to the ipw3945 crew.
That's on this week's to-do list...)

Attachments:
fix1 (634.00 B)
fix1
crypto-fix.patch (3.96 kB)
crypto-fix.patch
(No filename) (226.00 B)

by Kristen Accardi

On 1/31/07, Scott Lockwood <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm looking for assistance with a wifi device I can't find a driver for,
> the Intel Wireless 3945.
>
> I"m getting this:
>
> 0000:0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation: Unknown device 4222
> (rev 02)
>
> on a new Dell Latitude D820. Anyone know if there will be an open source
> driver for this any time soon, or if there is one now?
>
> I'm using the latest vendor supplied kernel, so my apologies if this has
> already been done and I'm late to the party. I wasn't able to find much,
> other than 'use the NDIS wrapper' which I really don't want to do.
>
> Thanks for any assistance, at all,
> Scott
>
> -

If you want to play with the experimental version with no binary
regulatory daemon,
try here:
http://bughost.org/iwlwifi/

Otherwise, go here:
http://ipw3945.sf.net

2007-01-31 22:00:32

by Herbert Xu

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 03:54:55PM -0500, [email protected] wrote:

> Oh - the git-crypto-fix patch has to be applied with -R, I never got around to
> re-diffing it the other way.

If this driver is still using the old digest interface, it needs to be
converted to use crypto_hash_*.

Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <[email protected]>

by Ross Vandegrift

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 03:54:55PM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> Only gotcha I know of: Sometimes one of the ipw3945d kernel threads will
> hang in a loop if the RFKill switch is set to "kill" when the system comes
> up. I also don't know how it handles suspend, I don't use that on my D820.

I have a D820 and I had a horrible time with the wireless for a long
time. Every five minutes or so, the card would flip out and burn 100%
CPU making the box unusable for 15-45 seconds.

The most recent version of the firmware fixed this issue and now
things are much better.

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

by Valdis Klētnieks

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 08:59:47 +1100, Herbert Xu said:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 03:54:55PM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > Oh - the git-crypto-fix patch has to be applied with -R, I never got around
> > re-diffing it the other way.
>
> If this driver is still using the old digest interface, it needs to be
> converted to use crypto_hash_*.

OK, here's the more complete scoop - the *out of tree* ieee80211 tree
hasn't been converted, but the *in tree* version has.

Why did I have the out of tree version installed? Because the in-tree
version claimed to be 1.1.3, and the out-of-tree 1.2.16. Apparently,
the update to the version string for the in-kernel version got blocked
someplace - the in-tree is apparently actually very close to 1.2.16.

Attachments:
(No filename) (226.00 B)

2007-02-01 18:38:09

by John W. Linville

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 11:00:08AM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 08:59:47 +1100, Herbert Xu said:

> > If this driver is still using the old digest interface, it needs to be
> > converted to use crypto_hash_*.
>
> OK, here's the more complete scoop - the *out of tree* ieee80211 tree
> hasn't been converted, but the *in tree* version has.
>
> Why did I have the out of tree version installed? Because the in-tree
> version claimed to be 1.1.3, and the out-of-tree 1.2.16. Apparently,
> the update to the version string for the in-kernel version got blocked
> someplace - the in-tree is apparently actually very close to 1.2.16.

I don't recall seeing such a patch, fwiw. The only patch I recall
refusing from that team is the one that marks ipw2100 as broken
on big-endian.

If I missed those patches, please re-send them.

Thanks,

John
--
John W. Linville